Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

replies

October 13, 2016 05:16PM
Janet:

I'm very amused at the way Elizabeth is determined to think well of him, whether she realizes it or not or to what extent.

Is Miss Cornish going to be of some significance to the story? Some sort of rival?

She does want to think well of him now. As for Miss Cornish... you will see. smiling smiley

gio:

Oh poor Lizzy, all flustered and undecided in that conversation with Darcy. I'm just as surprised as Darcy when she complimented him so openly hah! Something to ponder about after all the guests are gone, Darcy.

Oh, no doubt he thought about it constantly! It's hard to find a good balance when you're dealing with a man who's already in love. There's no such thing as casual flirting, and every comment takes on extra significance. Elizabeth was a little carried away with being outrageous.

Tessa:

One of the longest chapters? Still not quite long enough for me!

Interesting that Elizabeth was beginning to feel she had a proprietary interest in Darcy and almost went overboard in her praise of the dinner and its host. The gentleman himself behaved exactly as I'd imagine he would: ".... he played his duties as host well. (Elizabeth) did not believe that she had ever seen him appear at such advantage in a large gathering, seen his striking dignity combine so well with civility and ease." Most FF tend to paint him as overly shy, arrogant and/or withdrawn socially.

Can't wait to see how Darcy felt about being considered his house's most handsome ornament when he had time to reflect on the evening.

I know, the chapters aren't very long. That's just how it worked out for this story. That's why I'm posting twice a week, though.

I think Austen provides ample evidence that Darcy was perfectly capable of conducting himself well when he had the motivation to do so. Thanks, Tessa!

Laura:

Poor Elizabeth, she hasn't figured out what she truly wants yet. She wants to flirt with Mr. Darcy and yet she doesn't want to give him encouragement. She wants his attention, but she doesn't want to give him the wrong idea about herself. She wants to stare at him but she doesn't want him to stare at her. Poor Mr. Darcy, he can't quite figure out Elizabeth yet. He is still feeling so guilty, but he doesn't want to give up hope to one day be with Elizabeth, but Elizabeth is encouraging and discouraging within the same conversation. This is a sad state of affairs!! I love it!!! smiling smiley Laura M.

So very true! She's not deliberately trying to lead him on--quite the opposite--but the natural flirtiness of her manners comes out despite herself. And how can she let him know how she feels when she doesn't even know how she feels??

Sabine:

Whoa, Elizabeth did a proper Miss Bingley there - so much praise! :-D

Somehow I don't think Darcy minded. smiling smiley Thanks for the correction too.

Michelle Anne:

I liked that Miss Cornish, clipped answers and all, rival or not. Elizabeth may need a rival so she'll flirt and not take it back! Is she really unsure of how she feels or just afraid of what it will mean if she lets herself admit she wants to be Mistress of the house?

Mrs. Everett is perfect and as observant as you'd expect a woman of her years and knowledge of her nephew would be! I imagine half (or more) of the people in that room suspect what's up after watching Darcy or Elizabeth.

She's very unsure how she feels. Her feels are rapidly growing beyond friendship, but not to the point where she can definitely identify them as something more. She finds she likes him, she's becoming increasingly attracted to him, but does she love him? Maybe not just yet. I think Elizabeth would feel that she owed it to him to not provide him with direct encouragement unless she could sincerely return his feelings, and in an equal measure. Also, right now she has a real sense of security about him and his devotion. There's no reason for her to hurry the process, and rush to commit herself. She can take the time to get to know him properly first.

Is it wrong to say that I love Mrs. Everett? smiling smiley

Sarah C:

I am interested in seeing more of Mrs. Everett. I rather wish she'd said a little more about Wickham's perfidy but I suppose it would hardly have been proper at the dinner table and yes, I suppose Elizabeth is cleverer than that, at least in this story!

Oh Elizabeth and her tongue, complimenting Darcy's looks like that! I hope it encourages him a little to believe her opinion of him is improved and she considers him a friend since I assume he knows that if she weren't at ease with him, she wouldn't have said such a thing!

I don't know why but somehow I don't have a good impression of Miss Cornish and have a bad feeling she might end up being a rival--or at least trying to be a rival to Elizabeth. Looking forward to more.

Lots of good thoughts. We will see Mrs. Everett again, although briefly. She has yet a part to play. I think Darcy knows Elizabeth accepts him as a friend at this point, but he's inevitably going to find that more satisfying some days than others.

More of Miss Cornish next chapter. Thank you, Sarah!

Taryn:

What does one say when they want to let their host know that their feelings have changed, maybe a little? was that it!
Poor Darcy is probably wondering what she meant and Elizabeth has no idea herself!

Very enjoyable.
Thanks

Poor Darcy, getting such mixed signals.

Lucy J:

I am glad to see Elizabeth be discomfitted. She is ready to decide what or who she really wants. No more flirting, just honesty I think. This chapter marks Elizabeth watershed moment I think. Nicely done.

Well... *wink, wink* You'll have to see.

Shannon:

It's interesting to have Mrs. Everett as a window into who Darcy is rather than Georgiana and Mrs. Reynolds. In canon, the loyalty and respect Darcy inspires in his dependents drastically changes Elizabeth's understanding of his character. Here, Elizabeth already respects and likes him, but it would be natural for her to have some doubts. She has a strong will, and the one time it opposed his, catastrophe resulted. He has been convincingly contrite ever since, but he will not, should not, be contrite forever. So...what will happen if she opposes him in the future? If she marries and allows herself to become dependent on him? And then she meets this aunt who refuses his request to live with him at Pemberley or in town, who as he surely knows has always preferred Wickham--yet he is obviously fond of her and gives her substantial financial support. I would think Elizabeth would find this reassuring.

What a very insightful comment! I hadn't fully considered this point, but you're right. It was even more important then than now that a woman be sure of the character of the man she was marrying. He had such ability to make her happy or miserable, to know that Darcy always treats those dependent on him kindly would be very reassuring.

ShannaG:

I love that Mrs. Everett thinks Elizabeth should be clever enough to see through wickham. If only.... I like how much closer they are becoming.

Oh, Wickham's not really going to be the problem here... winking smiley

Thank you, thank you all! I wait with baited breath to see your comments after each chapter. Nothing beats getting chapter-by-chapter responses from my readers.
SubjectAuthorPosted

The Way It Ought to Be, Chapter 7

Suzanne OOctober 10, 2016 02:41PM

replies

Suzanne OOctober 13, 2016 05:16PM

Re: The Way It Ought to Be, Chapter 7

ShannaGOctober 13, 2016 02:18AM

Shannon KOctober 12, 2016 11:29PM

Lucy J.October 12, 2016 05:41AM

TarynOctober 11, 2016 11:22AM

SarahC.October 11, 2016 05:43AM

Michelle AnneOctober 10, 2016 11:30PM

SabineC.October 10, 2016 08:06PM

Laura M.October 10, 2016 07:08PM

Laura M.October 10, 2016 07:05PM

Tessa LOctober 10, 2016 05:01PM

gioOctober 10, 2016 04:42PM

JanetROctober 10, 2016 03:33PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 3 plus 6?