Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

Re: Marianne's Misanthrope 13-15

February 09, 2016 05:16PM
Thank you for another lovely post. I wonder what the Helthams are planning, now (cue sinister music ;-)). I enjoyed all the holiday preparations and found myself humming Christmas carols all morning ;-))

Speaking of carols, the French one Miss Joliffe alludes to is called "Les anges dans nos campagnes" as in countryside, not "compagnes", which means a female companion, (not in the Regency meaning, Mrs Jenkinson would be a "dame de compagnie"), but used now mostly to name a female life partner, when a couple is not married.
As Abigail would surely point out ;-)) "compagne", like its masculine form "compagnon", and the English "companion", all derive from the latin words "cum panem", the one you share bread with, as does the French "copain", meaning pal or buddy, while "campagne" may have originated from Campania, a rural region near Rome.
Sorry, as a French gal (and long ago Latin scholar), I just had to say it. I hope you don't mind. I just find words, and their origins, fascinating and, I suspect, so do you.
And if you ever need to verify a French expression or sentence, just whistle.

Thank you again for the gift of your stories.

Lea
SubjectAuthorPosted

Marianne's Misanthrope 13-15 (Deleted)

Sarah WaldockFebruary 08, 2016 05:56PM

NicoletteFebruary 12, 2016 04:38PM

Re: LOL

Sarah WaldockFebruary 12, 2016 04:41PM

LeaFebruary 09, 2016 05:16PM

Re:OOPS

Sarah WaldockFebruary 09, 2016 11:05PM

Re: Re:OOPS

Agnes BeatrixFebruary 10, 2016 01:50PM

Re: thank you!

Sarah WaldockFebruary 11, 2016 01:40PM

Agnes BeatrixFebruary 08, 2016 09:19PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 20 plus 15?