Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

Lady Bertram's Cup of Tea - One Shot - September Short Story

September 14, 2019 03:55AM
blurb: An answer to the September Short Story Topic posted in the Tea Room. What prompts the Bertrams to finally send for Fanny Price after the scandal involving Maria Rushworth and Henry Crawford.

Lady Bertram's Cup of Tea

She believed that the answer to everything was in a good cup of tea.

Lady Bertram sighed as she examined the tea cup in her hand. Fanny was always able to make the perfect cup of tea, but Sir Thomas had sent her away. She still did not understand why he wanted Fanny to marry Henry Crawford. He was amusing, to be sure, but if Fanny married him she would move away and there would be no one but her sister, Mrs. Norris, to prepare her tea.

Now, her eldest son lay sick in his bed, and Lady Bertram couldn’t even get a decent cup of tea. He had been there for almost a month. Lady Bertram was certain that if only she could get him a good cup of tea, he would get better.

The door to the sitting room opened, revealing Sir Thomas with a thunderous look upon his face.

“Has Tom taken a turn for the worse?” Lady Bertram asked.

“No. As far as I can tell he is still slowly recovering,” Sir Thomas replied. “I just received horrible news concerning our daughters.”

“What has happened?” Lady Bertram asked, clutching her tea cup.

“Maria has left Mr. Rushworth. She has run away with Henry Crawford.”

“Oh dear,” Lady Bertram replied, looking back down to her mediocre tea.

“And Julia has disappeared as well. In the confusion caused by Maria’s foolishness, it appears that she has eloped with Mr. Yates,” Sir Thomas explained.

“What could they have been thinking?” Lady Bertram wondered, as she took a sip. With a grimace, she set her tea cup down.

“It is a mess to be sorted, that is certain,” Sir Thomas replied. “What can I do to help you feel settled?”

With a glance at her miserable tea cup, she looked to her husband.

“Will you send for Fanny? I need her to come home.”

“Of course, I’ll have Edmund retrieve her from Portsmouth.”

“Thank you, my dear,” Lady Bertram replied. “After she arrives, I’m sure we will have an answer for everything.”
SubjectAuthorPosted

Lady Bertram's Cup of Tea - One Shot - September Short Story

BethWSeptember 14, 2019 03:55AM

Re: Lady Bertram's Cup of Tea - One Shot - September Short Story

EmelynSeptember 18, 2019 02:21AM

MarciSeptember 16, 2019 08:33PM

Lucy J.September 15, 2019 11:47PM

Shannon KSeptember 14, 2019 05:50PM

dulciewlfSeptember 17, 2019 05:34AM

KarenteaSeptember 14, 2019 05:41AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 23 plus 16?