Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

First Words - A Soul Mark Story

March 28, 2018 10:27PM
AN: I wrote this short piece for the playground challenge on another sight. I thought I would share it here, as well.
(For those that are interested: Yes, I do know that I never finished "Timing is Everything." I will. Some day. I promise.)

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a blank wrist, must be in want of a soul mate.

However little known the feelings or the views of such a man may be on his first entering a neighbourhood, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding families, that all marriageable daughters are introduced to eligible gentlemen at the earliest possible convenience.

It was a well-documented fact that the first words you heard from the lips of your soul mate would be written upon your wrist as they were being spoken. Though most believed that there was only one soul mate for each person, Mrs. Bennet did not want to take any chances. She tried and tried to convince Mr. Bennet to introduce their daughters to the new residents of Netherfield Park before the coming assembly, but he was unmoved. The introductions would take place at the assembly.

\o/o\o/o\o/o\o/o\o/

Elizabeth Bennet could not be happier for her sister, Jane. Shortly after the arrival of the Netherfield party to the Assembly rooms in Meryton, Mr. Bingley was introduced to the women of the Bennet family. As soon as he started speaking, the words, “I am pleased to make your acquaintance,” appeared on the wrist of Jane Bennet.

Feeling the telltale itching on her wrist, Jane glanced down. Seeing the words appear before her, she exclaimed, “Tis too much! Oh, why is not everybody as happy?” As she spoke, the words appeared on the wrist of Mr. Bingley. There could be no doubt. The two had found their soul mates.

In the commotion that followed, none of the rest of the introductions were made.

\o/o\o/o\o/o\o/o\o/

Charles Bingley was ecstatic. He had found his soul mate. None of the other men dared ask Miss Bennet for a dance, as the two of them spent the evening getting to know each other better.

His only sadness lay in his friend, Mr. Darcy. He knew he had been neglecting his friend, but it was not every day that you met your soul mate. Taking a momentary absence from the woman that would become the most important person in his life; he approached his friend, hoping to convince him to dance.

“Come, Darcy,” said he, “I must have you dance. I hate to see you standing about by yourself in this stupid manner. You had much better dance.”

When Mr. Darcy continuously refused to dance, Mr. Bingley decided his time would be much better spent back in the company of Miss Bennet. As he turned back toward the dancing, he spied Miss Bennet’s sister, Elizabeth, approaching. With little thought, he offered to have Miss Bennet introduce her sister to Mr. Darcy.

Just as Elizabeth Bennet was walking within hearing range of their conversation, Mr. Darcy uttered the words, “She is tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt me.”

Feeling an itching on her wrist, Elizabeth glanced down, only to see those horrible words appear on her skin. She was not nearly as happy as Jane had been.

\o/o\o/o\o/o\o/o\o/

It was not uncommon for newly married soul mates to show off their soul marks. People would exclaim with joy, and ask for the story. Such was the case for Mr. and Mrs. Bingley. The resulting story always brought with it the accompanying sighs and smiles.

Mr. and Mrs. Darcy, on the other hand, did as much as they could to hide their soul marks. When Lady Catherine accused them of not having soul marks, they showed just the very beginning of both. Although their secrecy led to much speculation, both of them would always refuse to show their marks, explaining that they were very dear and private words.

Mr. Darcy once made the mistake of complaining to his dear wife that his wrist was full of a string of profanity more fit for that of a sailor. In response, Elizabeth merely removed the wrap from her wrist, reminding him what his own first words had been.
SubjectAuthorPosted

BethWMarch 28, 2018 10:27PM

Re: First Words - A Soul Mark Story

Linnea EileenMarch 30, 2018 02:23PM

ShannaGMarch 29, 2018 06:04PM

Shannon KMarch 29, 2018 02:31AM

Maria VMarch 28, 2018 11:34PM

BethWMarch 29, 2018 12:32AM

Maria VMarch 28, 2018 11:32PM

Harvey S.March 29, 2018 06:17PM

BethWMarch 29, 2018 07:02PM

DorisMarch 28, 2018 11:02PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 9 plus 18?