Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

Re: More Justified In Acting Chapters 7-9 (Post 3)

October 11, 2017 09:54PM
I'm glad you appreciated the story!

My problem is that I come from academia. I just can't reconcile myself to the idea of plagiarizing another author's words without some way of distinguishing them in-line (even in a derivative work whose original source is in the public domain). I played with several methods available and thought that this was the least jarring. I would like feedback though if readers prefer other methods. (I'll probably post this in the tea room as well)

Footnotes: I have been utterly unable to find a single moment alone with you and so I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall wait for you in the same location I posed this same question to you all those years ago. A word, a look, will be enough to decide my future happiness.1

Bold: I have been utterly unable to find a single moment alone with you and so I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall wait for you in the same location I posed this same question to you all those years ago. A word, a look, will be enough to decide my future happiness.

Italics (If I do this, I can't use italics to indicate writing, thoughts, or emphasis which would take away some nuance): I have been utterly unable to find a single moment alone with you and so I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall wait for you in the same location I posed this same question to you all those years ago. A word, a look, will be enough to decide my future happiness.

Small caps: I have been utterly unable to find a single moment alone with you and so I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall wait for you in the same location I posed this same question to you all those years ago. A word, a look, will be enough to decide my future happiness.

Different font: I have been utterly unable to find a single moment alone with you and so I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall wait for you in the same location I posed this same question to you all those years ago. A word, a look, will be enough to decide my future happiness.

One of the reasons I liked the color option is that it allows me to distinguish between sources (I'm currently working on a crossover, for example). I could also try darker colors.

Darker Purple: I have been utterly unable to find a single moment alone with you and so I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall wait for you in the same location I posed this same question to you all those years ago. A word, a look, will be enough to decide my future happiness.

Darker Blue: I have been utterly unable to find a single moment alone with you and so I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall wait for you in the same location I posed this same question to you all those years ago. A word, a look, will be enough to decide my future happiness.

Darker Green: I have been utterly unable to find a single moment alone with you and so I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall wait for you in the same location I posed this same question to you all those years ago. A word, a look, will be enough to decide my future happiness.

Darker Red: I have been utterly unable to find a single moment alone with you and so I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall wait for you in the same location I posed this same question to you all those years ago. A word, a look, will be enough to decide my future happiness.

1. Jane Austen. Persuasion, Chapter 23
SubjectAuthorPosted

More Justified In Acting Chapters 7-9 (Post 3)

MorganAOctober 07, 2017 03:36PM

lovely!

TashaOctober 16, 2017 11:50AM

Agnes BeatrixOctober 11, 2017 09:30AM

MorganAOctober 11, 2017 09:54PM

Melissa AOctober 10, 2017 02:02AM

Lucy J.October 08, 2017 03:25AM

BrigidOctober 08, 2017 12:06AM

KateBOctober 07, 2017 09:43PM

AlidaOctober 07, 2017 08:43PM

Maria VOctober 07, 2017 07:28PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 10 plus 10?