Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

Re: Ignorance and Irony - Chapter 6 (Part Two)

June 05, 2017 04:18AM
I don't know about colonels retiring, but I imagine, since colonels tended to be professional officers, that it was roughly the same as in the Regular Army.

One thing I do know. Commissions were not purchased in the militia. Instead members were conscripted by an annual lottery in the home county of a given militia regiment, and served for a certain number of years. Those with a certain amount of land were commissioned. The rest were enlisted.

Often, wealthy landowners who didn't want to spend their time "citizen-soldiering" paid someone to take their place, rather like those wealthy Americans drafted during the Civil War who paid others to serve for them.

So Kitty's lieutenant didn't pay for his commission, but he did choose to serve rather than pay someone to do it for him, which is rather admirable, too.

Wickham might have been paid to take a commission, or might have stepped into a vacancy before the next lottery, making it unnecessary to pull out as many names.

JIM
SubjectAuthorPosted

Ignorance and Irony - Chapter 6 (Part Two)

MarciJune 04, 2017 07:00PM

Cat dastardly Wickham !

LisaZJune 07, 2017 04:38AM

Whoops, I meant "That Dastardly Wickham" (nfm)

LisaZJune 07, 2017 04:44AM

Lucy J.June 07, 2017 03:09AM

JoannaJune 06, 2017 02:29PM

Linnea EileenJune 06, 2017 04:54AM

Jim D.June 05, 2017 04:18AM

Trish1006June 05, 2017 01:17AM

NickiJune 05, 2017 12:02PM

AiJune 04, 2017 10:19PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 11 plus 1?