Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

Re: Regrets - I Have But a Few (One Shot - Complete)

March 06, 2017 08:42AM
I didn't feel any melancholy in the wedding. It was sad what they had to go through in the Bennet family after Lydia. It is perhaps a bit sad that she had to change her perspective of a marriage, but then again, I would guess that most of us do so when we move from 20 to 30. However, in her marriage, she worked with determination and an equally devoted partner and it seems she only experienced love, trust, and respect. Her husband admires her. What is there to be sad about? After all, this is a story where she never ever saw Darcy again, she never actually fell in love with him, and all she saw was that truly unpleasant individual who was keeping his distance from everybody and possibly looked down on everybody. From Elizabeth's point of view, the only thing to regret is that she didn't pay more attention to his warning about Wickham only because he was arrogant and unpleasant and her ego was hurt. It was a learning point. However, she could never regret Darcy and it doesn't come across as if she did. It would be weird. She never cared for him. Elizabeth did not spend a life wondering about that acquaintance of a month she had when she was 20.

Now, what would be interesting though is to see Darcy's POV. He did care for her by the time they never saw each other again. Did he realise how his actions contributed to her future? Did he feel smug for avoiding a family with so low morals or did he feel guilty for not protecting an innocent? Did he feel he did all he could by warning Elizabeth and thus never felt a moral responsibility or did he feel more than in other cases where Wickham left girls ruined just because he knew this family personally? When he got married, did he find a wife that made him overcome his first infatuation (that's what he characterised it) or did he settle? And even if he settled, and I presume with a most worthy lady, did he finally mature enough to find contentment? I don't believe that any Bennet wedding made it into the London newspapers. Did Darcy ever thought of them or finally moved on and led a happy life?

Are you writing Peter? smiling smiley
SubjectAuthorPosted

Regrets - I Have But a Few (One Shot - Complete)

PeterMarch 04, 2017 05:24PM

EvelynJeanMarch 05, 2017 09:24AM

Maria VMarch 06, 2017 08:42AM

Gloria L.April 04, 2017 03:28PM

PeterMarch 06, 2017 04:52PM

ShannaGMarch 06, 2017 05:10PM

LucieMarch 05, 2017 01:50AM

tJeanMarch 05, 2017 12:29AM

ShannaGMarch 04, 2017 09:20PM

AlidaMarch 04, 2017 08:19PM

Renee BMarch 05, 2017 02:20AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 11 plus 3?