Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

Re: The Bookseller's Widow

November 21, 2016 05:35PM
I really liked this. She failed to see Darcy in Pemberley, and thus, while she was impressed by the well maintained land, tenants, and house, his excellent standing with his servants and of course "the letter", she did not see his improved manners or had any occasion to re-examine her strong feelings towards him. Pretty soon, she was absorbed with her families sequence of tragedies (the search for Lydia for months, the shunning, plans for another living, the mother's illness and death, Mary's moralizing and distance from the family.)

I find it natural that Darcy simply remained as a question mark she had. She fell in love with her second husband. It sounded like she truly found purpose and love and acceptance and reflected these back to her husband.

I would have liked one more detail: Elizabeth sounded in piece. Darcy sounded half-way settled for what he could make of his life and half simply determined to prove to Elizabeth that he was a better man (so, not just out of principle, but also with her in his thoughts for even a small part). I would have liked to not have this doubt that he is clinging to her and her opinion of him even for a small part. I'd like a paragraph of a happy Darcy, whose motivation of sending back his greetings and showing his acceptance would be only out of principle, and not to pass the message "I want you to see I've chanced as you requested."

The text did not make it clear that he has some latent regret or that he simply settled for his wife. It could also be that he did fall in love and that though he started changing his behavior due to Elizabeth's remarks, that at this point his motivation is ... zero. it's simply his nature to be considerate now.

Too many words: Elizabeth found happiness. I wish Darcy did too. Not just "some measure of happiness", but true happiness with no regrets. The text allows both interpretations and I'd have liked more clarity on this point.
SubjectAuthorPosted

The Bookseller's Widow

PeterNovember 20, 2016 10:27PM

Lucy J.November 27, 2016 04:58AM

KimberlyNovember 22, 2016 02:19AM

LucieNovember 22, 2016 01:39AM

Re: The Bookseller's Widow *Edited)

PeterNovember 21, 2016 07:50PM

MichaNovember 21, 2016 09:39PM

PeterNovember 21, 2016 10:04PM

Maria VNovember 21, 2016 05:35PM

PeterNovember 21, 2016 07:44PM

EvelynJeanNovember 21, 2016 12:10AM

JeannineNovember 20, 2016 11:38PM

KateBNovember 20, 2016 11:33PM

PeterNovember 20, 2016 11:37PM

AlidaNovember 20, 2016 11:12PM

TammslaNovember 20, 2016 10:58PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 24 plus 11?