Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

A Kindly Aunt 31 & 32

November 10, 2016 04:59PM
AN: Once again, thanks for all your comments. They help encourage me.

Chapter 31

Lady Russell arrived on Saturday as planned. She sent Anne a note asking when might be convenient for her to stop by. Anne replied immediately asking her to come by at her convenience any time that day. Lady Russell arrived at Gracechurch Street shortly after noon.

After she was shown into the parlor, she was introduced to Mrs. Gardiner and the Bennets. Greetings were exchanged, and then Anne said, “Lady Russell. I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to see you again. So much has happened since I removed to town.”

“Indeed it has. And I, too, am happy to see you. Mrs. Gardiner, thank you so much for giving my goddaughter a haven here in town. I am sad to say that Kellynch was simply not a home for her.”

Mrs. Gardiner replied, “It has been my pleasure to have Anne here with us. I have always enjoyed her company. Her meeting up again with Captain Wentworth and coming to this understanding has been an unexpected happy result.”

Lady Russell said, “I hope it is a happy result. I was unsure during their previous attachment, but Anne’s letters have almost convinced me that she is making a good choice this time.”

Anne said, “Captain Wentworth has been very successful as I had expected him to be. There no longer seem to be good reasons to ignore our hopes and feelings. With his excellent connections, even Father seems no longer opposed.”

“Well, then, I am happy for you. Now, I understand from your letters that Miss Mary is to be your attendant?” she asked as she looked at the youngest of the three Bennet sisters.

“Yes, she is. She and I have become very close. As I considered who might best support me on that day, Mary was the obvious choice.”

Mary smiled at that compliment and added, “Although Jane is closest in age, it seems that Anne and I have more in common. We have enjoyed many happy hours together while the others are off having their Season. I came to town with them to study and have found it a wonderful experience. Helping Anne with her wedding will be something to remember for the rest of my life.”

Lady Russell smiled at Mary. “Anne says in her letters that you are also a middle sister.”

“Yes, there are two more who are younger at home. Besides growing so close to Anne, this time in London has also allowed me to grow closer to both Lizzy and Jane as well. My aunt has given us a haven just as she has Anne.”

“Will your parents be joining us for the wedding?”

Jane undertook to answer that question. “They will arrive Monday afternoon and plan to return to Hertfordshire on Wednesday. That will allow them to attend the wedding and do a little shopping before returning to Lydia and Kitty, our younger sisters.”

Elizabeth added, “Father does not care for town, so they do not plan to stay long.”

Mrs. Gardiner invited Lady Russell to stay to tea. Captain Wentworth was also coming, as were the Musgroves. They were curtailing some of their activities as the wedding approached. Since Lady Russell had been expected, no other engagements were planned that day. She was invited to join them at the Stevenson’s the next day for dinner. She would call upon the Elliots on her way home after tea.

Lady Russell was gracious in her congratulations to Captain Wentworth when he arrived. She did her best to make it clear that she was happy for Anne and pleased that they were able to take this step together. Although he still had some resentment at her original opposition, he accepted her congratulations and was pleasant to her for Anne’s sake.

This visit, Mary sat with Mrs. Musgrove who felt the need to fret about her two youngest who were at home with their governess. She had never been away from them for so long and hoped they were well. Mary sympathized and asked for details about them. Mrs. Musgrove was happy to talk about all of her children. They ranged in age from Charles, at 22, down to Emily who was 6. Two of the girls were at school, James was at school, Dick, 16, in the navy, and Emily and William still at home. She also told of the babies between Charles and Dick who had died when infants. When Mrs. Musgrove was recovered from her worry, she and Mary talked of the Bennets and Mary’s place within the family. Mary and Mrs. Musgrove found they greatly enjoyed one another’s company.

During the tea, Charles Musgrove spent his time talking with Elizabeth and Jane. He appreciated Miss Bennet’s serene demeanor, so much like Miss Anne’s, but found Miss Elizabeth a little too clever for complete comfort. She was pleasant, but he could readily see that he did not have a sufficient variety of interests to engage her in conversation for very long. Miss Mary was by far the easiest one for him to talk with although Miss Bennet was a close second.

Anne had secured an invitation for Lady Russell and the Musgroves to join the family dinner on Sunday at the Stevenson’s. She was aware that, except for her visit to Somerset after the wedding, she would rarely see her friends again. Once she went to sea with Captain Wentworth, she might never again visit Kellynch. That would depend on future interactions with her family. She was not sanguine that their acceptance would be sufficient to ensure future invitations to revisit her former home.

Sir Walter and Elizabeth joined the family dinner once again. She was not well pleased, but he said to her as they entered their carriage, “It is an advantageous acquaintance and we would do well to ensure its continuation. After all, even Anne has managed to acquire some superior connections, and it would be in our best interests to cultivate the same.”

“But they have no conversation. They care nothing for fashion or gossip. And they pay me no deference whatsoever. I cannot abide them at all.”

“Well, just put on a good face. After all, we see them only rarely. If nothing else, try to smile occasionally.”

She pouted at that and said not another word during the drive. However, she did make an effort to try to talk with both of her grandparents this time. At the dinner for Anne, she had done her best to avoid them.

Bingley found himself chatting with Charles Musgrove about the difficulties of estate management. He said, “My friend Darcy is hunting for a situation that would suit me as I begin to learn the ins and outs of an estate. It was always my father’s fondest dream.”

Musgrove said, “I can see that it would be challenging to come into it with no past experience. I would guess that like me, Darcy learned from his father almost since the time he left off leading strings. Father has always involved me so that, now, I cannot imagine not caring about the estate and its tenants.”

“Well, I expect that Darcy will help me to succeed. He seems to be an excellent manager. I hope his teaching is as good.”

Musgrove looked at Bingley speculatively and said, “So, is it my imagination, or are you included in a family dinner due to an interest in one of the young ladies?”

Bingley blushed. “This is only the second week we have joined the Stevensons. Yes, I am officially courting Miss Bennet, but until we move to a more permanent understanding, we are not making it widely known. Apparently, her mother will make things very uncomfortable for her should she come to hear of it.”

“You are very lucky. Miss Bennet seems very nice and quite kind. Mrs. Hurst is your sister?”

“Yes. And Mr. Findlay is courting my sister Caroline. The Stevensons were gracious enough to want all of us to join them for dinner. I believe Mrs. Findlay has appreciated renewing an old acquaintance with Lady Stevenson, and Mr. Hurst and Sir James share a number of acquaintances. Apparently, our circle of acquaintance is growing closer at the same time it is enlarging.”

“I will admit I never expected to go to the theater with an Earl and Countess. Miss Anne’s friends are certainly above what I am used to.”

“In school, I never expected such a thing either. However, Darcy has been a good friend to me and opened many doors. It appears that Miss Bennet will do the same.”

As Major Fitzwilliam was not there to amuse Elizabeth Elliot, she was forced to try to converse with her relatives and their friends. After some consideration, she thought Mrs. Hurst might be an inoffensive conversation companion. “Have you come often to my grandmother’s Sunday dinners?”

Louisa smiled. “No, last week was the first time. They have been so gracious to include us. I know you recently arrived. How are you enjoying London this year?”

Miss Elliot smiled. “It is always so pleasant to get in touch with current fashions. That dress you are wearing is quite lovely. I have one of a similar cut but in a blue-grey with a bit more lace. I must say that you and your sister are far more fashionable than my cousins.”

“I will admit that fashion is important to the two of us. It seems to matter less to the Miss Bennets, but I think they always look very nice.”

“Yes, they look nice. They are never more than nice, though. However, perhaps nice is all they want.”

Louisa looked at her quizzically and asked, “So, why is it that you wish to appear fashionable?”

“It is important to uphold the name of Elliot. I represent the Baronetcy and would not wish it to be denigrated in any way. Also, I hope to attract someone of an appropriately exalted lineage for marriage. Without the correct image, that would be impossible.”

As they continued to talk, Louisa thought, “This is the sort of attitude they tried to instill at school. Luckily, Caroline has dropped it in favor of being genuine. However, I truly believe that this is the genuine Miss Elliot. How dreary her existence must be.”

While Louisa and Elizabeth visited, Sir Walter tried to make conversation with Sir James. After a few futile moments, he moved on to his neighbor Musgrove who could be relied upon to be sufficiently deferential. He was not disappointed in his expectations and almost enjoyed the conversation. Mrs. Musgrove was far more happily engaged with both Elizabeth Bennet and Lady Stevenson.

As the Elliots returned to their rooms after dinner, he said, “Well, that was actually better than dinner the other night. At least Musgrove knows how to treat one properly, unlike the family.”

Elizabeth replied, “Mrs. Hurst and Miss Bingley were knowledgeable about fashion. We had lovely conversations. However, I do not foresee many social engagements with this group. They simply to do not have the understanding and connections we need to forward an appropriate match. Now, if Lord and Lady Fitzwilliam were present, that would be different. Grandmother and Grandfather simply do not engage in enough social activities to make them valuable to us.”

The rest had enjoyed their time together. Lady Russell spent most of her time talking with Anne and Wentworth. She began to develop some appreciation of his appeal to Anne and could see how supportive and encouraging he was. He could see why Anne had relied so heavily upon Lady Russell’s opinion during their previous meetings and appreciated that she had now come to support Anne’s decision.

Chapter 32

Mr. and Mrs. Bennet arrived at Gracechurch Street in the early afternoon. Anne was out doing some last minute shopping with both Mrs. Musgrove and Lady Russell. They would all return for tea in the mid-afternoon.

After greeting Mrs. Gardiner, the Bennets went up to their room to refresh. Within a half an hour, they were back in the parlor to see their daughters. After greetings, Mrs. Bennet said, “You are all looking quite well. However, you have written nothing of any admirers. I cannot believe that you, Jane, have spent so much time in town with nothing to show for it. You must tell me all about the rich young men you have met.”

Before Jane could reply, Mrs. Gardiner said, “Now Fanny, when there is something to report, you know the girls will tell you. You must be satisfied that they have made many new acquaintances. You are here to celebrate Anne’s marriage, not to find out which young men your girls have met.”

Mr. Bennet agreed, “That is true. Fanny, you will have to set that aside. Remember what we spoke of before coming.” He had warned her that he would not allow her unthinking behavior to jeopardize the possible attentions of potential suitors. If she could not keep her tongue quiet, he would take her back to Hertfordshire immediately.

Mrs. Bennet replied, “But there is no one else here. They can easily answer my questions now. Why do you refuse to tell me? Oh, you have no pity on my nerves.”

Mr. Bennet answered, “If your nerves are acting up, you must go to our room to lie down. You can rest and allow them to calm down, if that is what you need.”

With a sniff, Mrs. Bennet settled into a chair with a pout on her face. They had no sympathy for her at all!

Mr. Bennet said to Mary, “Now, please tell me about all these things you have been studying. I have truly enjoyed the pictures you sent home. Your drawing is excellent.”

Mrs. Bennet was surprised. “What pictures? I have seen no pictures.”

“I tried to show them to you but you were too busy to look. Mary has been learning to draw, much as Lydia and Kitty are. However, if the pictures she sent us are any indication, her ability is currently beyond that of her sisters.”

“Mother, I have a sketchbook if you would like to look at some of the others,” Mary offered. Mrs. Bennet agreed and took the book from Mary’s hands. As Mr. Bennet and Mary spoke of her other studies, Mrs. Bennet perused the sketches.

After a few moments, Mrs. Bennet said, “Why, Mary, these are excellent. I recognize many of the family in these drawings. I am amazed at how talented you are.”

Elizabeth was pleased to see Mrs. Bennet actually praise her frequently overlooked sister. However, why must her mother be amazed rather than just pleased? It seemed some sort of implied criticism must accompany all praise of Mary.

Mrs. Bennet then handed the sketch book back to Mary and began talking with Jane, while Mary continued to discuss her course of study with her father. “Now, Jane, I am sure there must be a gentleman or two who is paying you particular attention. You cannot be so beautiful and not have a wonderful time for your Season. You must tell me all about them. Have you met any rich men at all?”

Mrs. Gardiner interrupted before Jane could answer. “Now, Fanny, all of the gentlemen who have called upon us are very eligible. We would not allow them to call upon us if they did not have sufficient to provide a very comfortable life for your girls.”

“I know that you would not allow someone ineligible to call. However, how rich are they? Will they put the girls in the way of other rich men so that all of the girls can marry well? How rich is rich?”

Jane answered, “No one has yet asked for my hand, so it would be impossible to answer your questions. We have met some very nice gentlemen and have had a very pleasant time.”

Elizabeth added, “We dance almost every dance at Almacks, at the balls we attend, and are always attended.”

Jane said, “We have made many new acquaintances who are very attentive.”

Mrs. Bennet frowned. “But, Anne is nothing to Jane and yet she is marrying tomorrow. How can that be?”

Mrs. Gardiner sighed. “Fanny, you must not say such things. Anne already had prior acquaintance with Captain Wentworth. It was much easier for them to resume the friendship and resume the betrothal. The season has just begun. It has only been a few short weeks. Indeed, people would be surprised if an admirer had already asked for Jane or Lizzy’s hand. You must be a little more patient. I am sure we will see a happy outcome.”

“Well of course Jane will find someone. However, how can Lizzy ever hope to capture someone? She will always give her opinion and that will surely chase off any potential admirer. She will not listen to me and keep her opinions to herself.”

Mrs. Gardiner replied, “You must not worry. All will turn out well. Now, how have Lydia and Kitty done this winter? I understand that they have expanded their own studies just as Mary has done.”

“You must talk to Thomas about that. I only know that they are always busy now and do not often attend me when I visit our neighbors. If this is because they are studying new things, all I know is that it is unpleasant that they no longer have time to join me.”

Elizabeth and Jane knew from their letters that their youngest sisters were actually enjoying their new studies. Besides drawing and music, their father had challenged them with weightier reading which they were surprised to enjoy and discuss with him. They were also visiting tenants with their father and taking more responsibility on the estate. Both were surprised at the enjoyment and fulfillment they now found. They had matured and were far less silly than they had been. However, Mrs. Bennet did not enjoy the new independence exhibited by her youngest. She had preferred it when they spent more of their time with her. Jane said, “I know they are now spending time visiting our tenants and performing charity work. Have you helped them in their efforts?”

Mrs. Bennet replied, “Although your father has asked that I do so, I do not see the need. They are doing just fine without my assistance.”

Mr. Bennet added, “They are doing surprisingly well, but I do wish their mother would join them. However, I am pleased with the growth and maturity they are both exhibiting. When you three see them again, I think you will also be pleased.”

Elizabeth said, “It has shown in their letters to us. I will admit that I am enjoying those far more than I had expected.”

Just then Anne, Lady Russell, and Mrs. Musgrove returned from their shopping expedition. As they entered the parlor, Anne was pleased to see the Bennets. After greetings and introductions, Anne handed Mrs. Bennet a small package. “I hoped we would find you here when we returned. While we were out, I saw this and thought of you.”

Everyone smiled as Mrs. Bennet exclaimed over the package. She opened it to find an exquisite length of lace. “Anne, this is quite beautiful. Thank you so much.”

The three newcomers took their seats as Mrs. Bennet continued to praise Anne’s thoughtfulness and the beauty of the gift. Anne looked over at Mr. Bennet and said, “Uncle Thomas, the rest of our friends should be here soon so you will not be quite so outnumbered by the women.”

He smiled. “With five daughters, I am quite accustomed to it. However, I do look forward to meeting your friends and betrothed.”

Soon, Mr. Gardiner arrived and greeted his brother. He was followed shortly by Captain Wentworth, Mr. Musgrove, and Charles Musgrove. More introductions ensued.

As Mrs. Bennet was introduced to Captain Wentworth, she asked, “So Captain, do you have no family at all? I am surprised that none are here for the wedding.”

He replied, “My sister is at sea with her husband. My brother is unable to get away from his parish duties long enough to join us. However, Miss Anne and I will visit him after the wedding. Not all of us are blessed to be able to travel as we would wish. They are the only family I have, I am afraid. So, no one else can be here.”

“Oh, well that makes some sense. What does your brother do?”

“He is currently a curate in the neighborhood of Miss Anne’s old home. It was he that first introduced us.”

“How very fortunate for you both.”

“It certainly was.”

After a short conversation in the parlor, dinner was called, and they all removed to the dining room. As they did so, a maid removed the new lace to the Bennets’ room.

In order to make it difficult for Mrs. Bennet to speculate on Charles Musgrove as a potential suitor for any of her daughters, all the men were seated at one end of the table together and the women at the other even though this was highly unusual. Anne sat next to Captain Wentworth on one side while Mrs. Musgrove sat next to Mr. Musgrove on the opposite side. Mrs. Bennet sat next to Mrs. Gardiner with Jane at her other hand. Both would do all they could to keep Mrs. Bennet calm and as sensible as was possible.

The gentlemen talked of the news while the ladies spoke of the wedding. Mrs. Bennet enjoyed hearing of all the plans for the morrow. She asked many questions of the choices Anne had made for her special day. She was very surprised at how unpretentious and simple Anne wanted her celebration. She was also particularly curious as to Mary’s place as Anne’s attendant and Anne’s reasons for selecting this very unremarkable daughter to assist her in her wedding. She spent a full course denigrating Mary and wondering at Anne’s choice until finally Mrs. Gardiner had to ask Mrs. Bennet to stop criticizing Mary and Anne’s selection of her.

Mr. Bennet spent much of the separation of the sexes talking with Mr. Musgrove about estate management. He found that the two approached the subject in a similar manner. He found it interesting to hear of the challenges that Uppercross presented as opposed to those of Longbourn.

Mrs. Bennet asked Mrs. Gardiner, “So, why are none of the girls’ admirers here tonight? I wanted the opportunity to examine them closely. I know there will be little chance tomorrow morning. I assume they will be here for the wedding?”

“Fanny, you know that tomorrow is Anne’s day. It is not a time for us to try to further matches for any of the other girls. I do not know that I would say that any admirers will be there, but there will certainly be a number of eligible men, friends of Captain Wentworth as well as other gentlemen the girls have met during the Season so far.”

“You just delight in tormenting you, don’t you? If the girls don’t marry well, we’ll be in the hedgerows almost immediately.”

“Fanny, you know that will never happen. Thomas has made provision so that you will have sufficient to be comfortable. We will continue to assist the girls with a Season and social opportunities. You need have no worries.”

“You do not understand how I suffer.”

As she said this, the gentlemen joined them. Mr. Bennet heard her comment and came to her asking, “If you are suffering, shall we retire and allow you to recover?”

“I meant in general, not specific suffering right now.”

“If there is nothing we can do and you are not suffering right now, could we talk of something else?”

She agreed, but the visiting that evening did not last much longer. The guests took their leave anxiously awaiting the wedding the next morning.

Mrs. Gardiner stopped by Anne’s room after the others had retired. She offered a little advice and lots of reassurance about the upcoming changes Anne would be facing. She also suggested Anne might want to avoid Mrs. Bennet and any advice she might offer.

Anne had anticipated being unable to sleep due to her excitement for the next day. However, as she thought of the advice her aunt had given her, she realized that all her anticipation was for good things. She was grateful to fall asleep quickly and dream peaceful, happy dreams.
SubjectAuthorPosted

A Kindly Aunt 31 & 32

ShannaGNovember 10, 2016 04:59PM

Re: A Kindly Aunt 31 & 32

BrigidNovember 14, 2016 07:06PM

ShannaGNovember 15, 2016 03:21PM

Lucy J.November 14, 2016 06:17AM

TammslaNovember 13, 2016 03:20AM

Maria VNovember 10, 2016 08:20PM

ShannaGNovember 10, 2016 10:27PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 6 plus 9?