Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

The Other Mr. Bingley - Chapter 2

April 08, 2016 04:49PM
Chapter Two

Monday November 18, 1811

At Netherfield Park, the absence of the Bennet sisters was felt keenly by only the Bingley brothers and it was the press of business alone that kept them from calling on Longbourn after breaking their fast that morning. While his affairs might be quieter than usual at the moment, Captain Bingley was greeted by a large number of business correspondences that demanded immediate attention. Much as he might wish it otherwise, he could not defer tending to the letters and thus plans to call on Elizabeth must wait until the morrow. Seeing that the Captain was so engaged, it was not difficult for Darcy to convince Charles that estate matters, which had been neglected while Jane Bennet was sick, should now be addressed. That such concerns also removed them from Miss Bingley’s company was appreciated by all three gentlemen, for that lady had made her delight at the absence of those sisters quite clear.

“How good it is” she exclaimed, as she sat down at the breakfast table that morning, “to be once again our own party only.”

Her brothers looked at her, one with amusement and the other unhappily.

“I quite enjoyed Miss Elizabeth’s company.” smiled Captain Bingley.

"I only wish that Miss Bennet could have been persuaded to remain another day or two.” muttered his brother.

The Captain disagreed, “No, it would not do, Charles. Miss Bennet was quite right to insist on returning home although I do not doubt that her wishes aligned with yours.”

“Do you think so?”

The Captain’s features displayed some surprise. “Of course! It seemed obvious enough to me from the little I saw. Do you not agree, Louisa?”

Louisa was unhappy at having her opinion sought and cast a wary eye at her younger sister.

“I cannot speak with such certainty, James. She obviously will welcome our brother’s attentions. How could she not in her circumstances.”

“Her circumstances?” Captain Bingley mused, “Are they so very dreadful, then?”

Caroline chose to answer on her sister’s behalf and it was impossible to miss the derision in her voice.

“She is one of five sisters, their estate is small – I have learned its income is only about two thousand a year and some cousin or other will inherit when her father dies. She has also never had a season in town or been presented at court. I would mention her connections, one uncle is a solicitor in Meryton and the other in trade in town, but of course the latter matters not at all to you.” The distaste in her voice was clear and the Captain cheerfully smiled at her.

“Not at all. Why should it?”

Caroline pursed her lips at the mildness of his response but chose not to answer and the captain’s smile broadened as he nodded at her.

“Very wise.” He said and returned his attention to his plate.

Louisa was less willing to allow the matter to rest and spoke directly to her younger brother. “You must realize, Charles, Mrs. Bennet’s intentions were made very clear when she visited. She has every expectation of seeing her daughter as Mistress of Netherfield. Jane is a dear creature but she is compliant and obedient, and you were extremely attentive to her. You must be sensitive to the danger of paying her such marked attentions. You will undoubtedly raise her expectations to match those of her mother which are quite high enough, thank you.”

Caroline was not reluctant to support her sister, “And her mother is hardly the epitome of propriety and manners. Such a vulgar woman. One wonders that Jane could be so genteel. Her younger sisters, unfortunately, take after the mother. “

“I would not have called Miss Bennet particularly compliant.” offered the Captain. “She was quite determined to return home and, if she were as mercenary as you claim, Caroline, would she not have attempted to prolong her stay? Might she not also set her cap at Darcy here, for he has twice the income of Charles?” He paused briefly before adding, “And I would not wish you to suggest that all her younger sisters behave improperly. I have met only Miss Elizabeth, of course, and certainly found nothing wanting in her behaviour.” He gazed fixedly at his sister until she acknowledged his caution with a slight nod. He had no illusions that her opinion had changed but as long as she withheld her criticism of Elizabeth, he would be content. It was Charles’ responsibility to rein her in with regard to Miss Bennet; however, his brother’s dislike of confrontation made it likely he would do so only reluctantly. Charles would have to become his own man or his sisters would rule his life, and to their benefit - not his.

Darcy had remained silent throughout the siblings’ discussion and, as everyone else seemed more interested in food than conversation, quiet lasted for several minutes punctuated only by the sound of cutlery clicking on the plates. However, silence was not a state that Caroline could long tolerate, particularly when the opportunity existed to express her displeasure at being in Hertfordshire. In this instance, her dislike at the thought of hosting a ball spilled over into a condemnation of the society in the area and she elaborated comprehensively on the poverty of fashion, style, manners and discourse of that society for several minutes. Finally, realizing that she was in danger of repeating herself on the subject, she appealed to Darcy.

“Should you question my views, James, I can assure you that Mr. Darcy has been equally censorious. Is that not so, sir?” she paused, not allowing him time to respond, “If I remember correctly, you stated that you saw a collection of people with little beauty, no fashion and whom she found no one of interest and received no pleasure from such attentions as you did receive.”

The Captain rather thought Darcy looked briefly discomposed and wondered if he was embarrassed at having his opinion now repeated; however, Darcy maintained his silence, neither refuting nor confirming his words and the captain suspected his sister was not altogether pleased at the obvious lack of support for her position. He decided to press him on the matter.

“Is the neighbourhood here so much different than in Derbyshire, Darcy? I have stayed in different parts of the country since my return and it has always seemed to me that such areas are more similar than otherwise.”

“The country cannot be compared to town, Brother!” huffed Caroline.

“Of course not! Why ever would you expect such to be the case?” He looked at his sister more closely, “If the country is such a burden, if you find it so unpleasant, I wonder at your staying here. What can you mean by it?”

James had an excellent idea why his sister was willing to forsake the delights of town to act as hostess for her brother and did not doubt that, should Darcy decide to remove to town, she would quickly make excuses to remove to town herself. He could only wonder at her persistent delusion, for she had pressed her suit with Darcy for several years and the gentleman could hardly be so blind as to be unaware of her intentions. That he had not, in all that time, acted to satisfy them should have been sufficient to convince her that he would never do so. Unfortunately, Darcy’s basic civility prevented him from displaying the distaste he undoubtedly felt at being the object of her suit, and Caroline was apparently so wrapped in her desire to achieve her ambitions that she could not accept or even recognize that they were not shared by the object of them. Darcy had made his lack of intentions known to Charles and Charles had relayed the bare facts to both his sisters and his elder brother. But Caroline would not desist and the captain suspected she would only do so when Darcy finally married.

Tuesday, November 19, 1811

Once breakfast was complete the Bingley brothers felt free to call on Longbourn and, in a matter of minutes, the plan was made. Apprised of their intent, Darcy agreed to accompany them and good-naturedly shrugged when chaffed by his friend that he did so only to avoid being left at Netherfield in Caroline’s company. The captain noted with amusement that Darcy’s disclaimer appeared more a matter of courtesy than conviction.

When his curricle was brought out, Darcy’s turned an astonished gaze upon Captain Bingley. “You do not ride?”

“The navy does discourage its captains from transporting horses for their personal use. Apart from feed, there is a want of space to hold and exercise them and they are deucedly awkward when attempting to board another ship when one must do so.”

Darcy ignored the captain’s attempt to lightly deflect the matter and would not allow the matter to drop. “And you have not learned since you left the navy?”

The captain was becoming a little irritated at the censure he detected in Darcy’s tone. “It was not worth my time or effort to learn. My carriage and this curricle serve me quite well. I have no intention of purchasing an estate so the lack of such an accomplishment is of little significance.”

Darcy chose to pursue the matter no further; however, the captain was well aware that riding was considered a mandatory skill for a gentleman landowner. As he had no pretensions in that direction, he refused to allow it to concern him. Darcy could think what he wished. Shortly thereafter the two horsemen left for Longbourn bracketing the captain’s curricle which was drawn by a matching pair of greys. They were part way through Meryton when they noticed a group of ladies and gentlemen ahead. Very quickly it could be seen that amongst their number were the two eldest Bennet sisters, along with two younger girls and three gentlemen. One was dressed in regimentals and the captain assumed he was a member of the _____ Militia of which he had heard. Another man was dressed in black and appeared to be paying particular attention to Elizabeth Bennet. He was a tall, heavy man of four or five and twenty. The third gentleman was obscured by the others but appeared to have garnered interest from several of the young ladies.

Miss Bennet was the first to become aware of the presence of the approaching party and her eyes clearly saw no one but Charles Bingley. The captain was amused to note that his brother’s attention was equally fixed and that he wasted no time in dismounting and greeting Miss Bennet. For himself, the captain’s attention was drawn by Elizabeth and he was pleased to see that she was favoured him with a smile. He brought his curricle to a stop a short distance away, dismounted and walked to her side to greet her and the others of her party.

The introductions had hardly been made when he happened to observe an alteration in Darcy’s countenance. His complexion reddened and he gave every sign of a man controlling his temper. The object of his displeasure appeared to be the third gentleman for whom an introduction had yet to be provided. The exchange between the two men had been brief and, on Darcy’s side, bordered on the discourteous. After barely acknowledging the other’s presence, he had turned and rode away without another word and Charles, surprised at his friend’s actions, mounted his horse and followed. He looked back at his brother but a shake of the captain’s head indicated that he would not join them. His purposes today would not be furthered by chasing after Darcy and, in truth, he was very little concerned about the man’s actions. He was, he admitted to himself, somewhat relieved by them, for he wished to speak with Elizabeth, and in private.

The gentleman who discomposed Darcy turned out to be a Mr. George Wickham who appeared to be an amiable, genteel sort of man. His intentions were to join the militia and the captain had to laugh at the younger Bennet sisters – for he had learned they were the two youngest of Elizabeth’s sisters – who clearly could see no greater accomplishment of a gentleman than being clothed in regimentals.

Miss Bennet introduced him to the gentleman garbed in black who turned out to be a visiting cousin, Mr. Collins, and from the man’s convoluted babble of words he gleaned that he was visiting for the purpose of effecting reconciliation with the Bennet family. If the man’s assiduous attentions to Miss Elizabeth were of significance, he appeared to have designs upon her. The pinched look of her features and the occasional pursing of her lips indicated that such attentions were not welcomed. The captain wished to speak with her privately but could not do so amongst such a crowd.

“Miss Elizabeth, is it your intention to return shortly to Longbourn?” He asked.

Elizabeth conceded that she would do so after calling on her Aunt Philips.

“May I instead,” he asked, “offer to drive you home?” He turned to Miss Bennet. “I would offer to carry you all but my vehicle seats only two.”

Jane looked dubiously at him. She did not question his gentlemanly behaviour; it was simply the propriety of the request. A glance at Elizabeth revealed that she wished to avail herself of the offer, perhaps as much as to be spared Mr. Collins’ attentions, as to be in company with Captain Bingley. Jane nodded and before Mr. Collins could organize his thoughts sufficiently to protest, Elizabeth was handed up into the curricle. The captain climbed to his seat and, ignoring Mr. Collins’ protestations at the loss of his cousin, had the vehicle moving smartly away. If his plans reached fruition, Mr. Collins’ concerns would be of little moment. They rode in silence until Meryton had been left behind when he slowed the speed at which they travelled.

“I had two purposes in seeking your company, Miss Elizabeth, well three, in truth.”

Elizabeth was amused. She had never ridden in a curricle before and it was a most pleasant experience. The midday sun was bright for mid-November, the day was unseasonably warm and the odious efforts of Mr. Collins to impress her had been removed. She could hardly be certain of the captain’s intentions, but she rather believed he had developed an interest in her. She could not otherwise explain his persistent attempts to seek her out while she was at Netherfield. In any event, she welcomed the experience of the ride and his attentions, should he desire to bestow them.

“Three, sir?”

“Indeed. I. . .”

All at once he felt uncertain and awkward. He believed her to welcome his advances but she was so pleasant that he could not be totally sure that she had perceived his interest.

“I. . .ah, well to put it simply, Miss Elizabeth, I find myself greatly attracted to you. You have a most uncommon attractiveness and intelligence. I wish to know you better. To win your regard and affections, if possible.”

Elizabeth was surprised at the forthrightness of his declaration and responded in kind. “You have my regard, Captain.”

“Will you allow me to call on you - to court you?”

The formality of his address surprised her and she expressed her amazement that he should propose such a step so early in their acquaintance.

“My training does not, I suppose, allow for indecision. If I might be blunt, Miss Elizabeth, I had decided upon this course of action, the second day I was in your company. Is it the haste with which I have moved that disturbs you? Or is there some uncertainty with regard to my circumstances? It is not that I wish to be precipitous but I cannot stay here in Hertfordshire for a prolonged period.”

“I will admit that the speed with which you have made your request surprises me, sir. I do not understand to what you refer by circumstances.”

“I am in business, Miss Elizabeth. A tradesman, some might call me. My brother and Mr. Darcy are what society considers a gentleman; and, although His Majesty has deigned to call me one, I will not hide the fact that I engage in business. Do the circumstances of my profession represent an encumbrance?”

Elizabeth laughed softly, “I could hardly be such a hypocrite, sir. My most beloved uncle is in business and, if others do not consider him a gentleman, I most assuredly do, for he is most truly a gentleman in those attributes that are important. I do not know your character fully, sir, but the little I have seen leads me to believe that you are his equal in character.”

“You will allow me to court you then?”

“I would be delighted to have you court me, sir. Delighted!” She looked thoughtful for a moment before continuing. “Am I to assume, Sir, that your time here in Hertfordshire is limited?”

“It is. The press of business will call me away and I cannot be certain when I shall return.” He could see her about to speak and guessed her next question. “As for how long I shall be here, I cannot say but almost surely not past the end of the year.”

"A short courtship then, Captain Bingley?"

He nodded, “I am afraid so. I understand if you might wish for more time but I cannot see how that will be possible.”

Elizabeth looked at him thoughtfully. She admired what she had discerned of the man in their limited acquaintance. She could not accept an offer from him now, but in a month? She could not rule out such a possibility.

She nodded. “I will not deny that a longer. . .courtship would better illustrate your character, Captain Bingley, but I trust we shall be enough in the other’s company for each of us to come to a better understanding of the other.”

“I am of a similar mind, Miss Elizabeth. I will speak to your father when we arrive at Longbourn.”

Elizabeth’s face clouded and she was suddenly hesitant, “Perhaps you should meet my mother before you speak to my father, Captain.”

His eyebrows rose quizzically.

She continued, “I will not hold you to your commitment, sir, if you decide to withdraw your offer after meeting her.”

He stopped the curricle and considered her words and manner. Obviously she must consider her mother an obstacle or deterrent. Well, he would be married to Elizabeth, not her mother.

“You have not spoken of me to her?”

“Jane and I decided that your presence, for now at least, might be best concealed from our mother. She was already much disturbed by the arrival of Mr. Collins.”

“I see.” He nodded and returned to her initial concern.

“When we marry, will your mother be living with us?”

“Marry, sir?” Her voice quavered.

He looked at fixedly, “Of course. My intentions are quite clear. I very much hope to marry you. This courtship is to allow you to find that marrying me is what you wish for your future.”

He paused, “I see no reason to be concerned about your mother. Even should she oppose our marriage, it is your father whose consent is important. So, Miss Elizabeth, I will speak with your father upon arriving at your home.”

She shook her head ruefully, “Be warned, Sir! Once you call on me twice, my mother will be ordering my wedding clothes.”

He laughed heartily, “So I can assume she will forward the match?”

“She will be your most attentive assistant, sir.”

“Ah. . .and most unhappy should you refuse my offer.”

Elizabeth rolled her eyes and he chuckled. The road to Longbourn was fast approaching and Elizabeth indicated the lane he should turn unto but he ignored her direction and snapped the reins to speed up the horses and they scooted past Longbourn and proceeded through the Longbourn village.

Elizabeth was about to remonstrate with him about his having done so but his next words removed such an inclination.

“I mentioned I had three purposes for offering you this ride. Our courtship was the primary object but the next will, I hope, be equally agreeable. My brother’s plans to host a ball are proceeding apace. I expect that an invitation will be delivered to your parents in a day or two. I would like to take advantage of my foreknowledge to request the first and supper dances with you. In truth I would wish for the last also but I have been given to understand that doing so would be, at this point, most improper.”

Elizabeth grinned, "I would be delighted to agree to your request, Captain. I would accept you for the last if it was possible, but I fear you are correct as my mother would assume an engagement to exist between us.”

"I thank you." He paused for a few moments, “I have no doubt that I will ask you for your hand, you know. The timing will be yours; however, I know that marriage is an extremely important decision for a woman. Perhaps the most important of her life and I would not wish you to enter that state with reservations about my character or our future situation.”

“You have arrived at such a conclusion so soon after making my acquaintance? I admit to astonishment. You cannot have developed such a degree of affection so quickly.”

“I will not pretend to have done so, Miss Elizabeth. I happen to believe that a strong mutual respect, esteem and an understanding of your partner’s character is fundamental to a successful marriage. I have seen situations where a passionate attachment may quickly develop and lead to a marriage which suffers as the couple comes to a fuller understanding of their partner’s character. I have been in your company sufficiently to understand your caring nature – who else might walk three miles to tend an ill sister. . .”

“I claim no special credit there, Captain. Who could not love Jane and wish to care for her?”

He smiled and shook his head, “I will not concede the point, Miss Elizabeth. But allow me to continue. You are intelligent – I had not spoken to you a half hour before that became obvious – and you are well read with a variety of interests. I believe we have spoken of literature, public affairs, your neighbours and theatre to name but a few. In addition, you are quite civil and, in my opinion, one of the most ladylike women of my acquaintance. And, I am not ashamed to admit that I find you extremely attractive. I doubt I could encounter a better woman to wed.”

Elizabeth was silent, warmed by such praise for the Captain’s manner was clearly sincere. She remembered their conversations quite well. He had listened and debated with her and never, even when they took opposing positions, had she felt he demeaned her position or her intelligence.

“I thank you, Captain. I am not sure I deserve such fulsome praise for my mother often refers to me as wild and impertinent; however, I will also provide an assurance. I do not expect we will require a long courtship.”

He stopped the curricle at a spot where they were screened by trees along either side of the road, took her hand and pressed a kiss to it. “You have made me quite happy even now, Miss Elizabeth. I hardly know how happy I shall be when you agree to marry me.” He grinned at her, “I am presumptuous, am I not?”

“You are, sir, but as I have encouraged it, I can hardly fault you.”

“Then I should return us to Longbourn lest your sister return before us and chastise me for not being a proper gentleman.”

“May I inquire as to your third purpose, Captain Bingley?”

He looked at her blankly for a moment before smiling. “My third purpose was to have you show me the beauties of Hertfordshire. Perhaps we might defer that till tomorrow?”

She nodded, “If my father gives his consent, sir.”

“Do you doubt that he will?”

Her smile displayed that archness he so admired, “I am his favourite daughter. I am sure he will not object if I have given my consent.”

When they arrived at Longbourn, they found that her sisters had yet to return from Meryton. Elizabeth introduced Captain Bingley to her mother and that lady, ever sensitive to a possible suitor for one of her daughters, was at first much taken with the information that the visitor was a captain; however, her enthusiasm in that regard did not survive learning that he had been a navy captain who had since retired. When she learned that he was engaged in business, her interest waned even further. Her efforts to get the gentleman to disclose his income and prospects proved unsuccessful as he was quite as used to deflecting such impertinent inquiries as she was in making them. From what he could understand of her conversation, Mrs. Bennet had designs of matching him with one of her daughters other than Elizabeth for she had made several references to Mr. Collins, accompanied by meaningful glances in Elizabeth’s direction and appeared to have no thought for any other possibility. Mrs. Bennet’s wishes were obvious but, as he had Elizabeth’s approval, he worried not at all about her mother’s. He could see that Elizabeth was mortified at her mother’s behaviour but her embarrassment appeared to ease when he gave her a quick smile. He was unsure if Mrs. Bennet’s discourse would ever cease and began to despair of being able to take his leave without giving insult when the sound of the party returning from Meryton could be heard. He grasped the opportunity, made known his wish of being introduced to Mr. Bennet and solicited Elizabeth’s assistance in doing so. They were out of the room before Mrs. Bennet could marshal an objection.

Elizabeth led him down the hall towards her father’s bookroom, knocked on the door and, when instructed to enter, did so. The introduction was quickly made and Elizabeth showed herself out but not before receiving another smile from her suitor. Captain Bingley turned to look at Mr. Bennet who was regarding him with some confusion.

“Captain Bingley?”

He nodded and agreed that he was indeed Captain Bingley and the brother of the Mr. Bingley who was leasing Netherfield.

Mr. Bennet regarded him quizzically and a wry smile briefly crossed his face.”The gossips have been sorely ineffectual, sir. They had no intimation of your existence.” He waved to a chair fronting his desk, “How may I be of service to you, Captain Bingley?”

Captain Bingley was uncertain how to start his explanation. “I arrived at Netherfield several days ago without, I fear, providing my brother notice of my visit. Your daughters were still there. Miss Bennet being ill and Miss Elizabeth there to care for her.”

Mr. Bennet nodded agreeably, still with no intimation of the purpose of his guest’s visit.

“I made the acquaintance of Miss Elizabeth during her stay at Netherfield. In fact, we spoke together quite often and I was able to accompany her several times when she went for a walk for respite from her nursing duties.”

Mr. Bennet sat upright in his chair. He suddenly had an excellent understanding of where this conversation might be headed.

The captain continued, not insensible to the dawning comprehension on his host’s face and the alertness of his posture.

“I very quickly came to believe, Mr. Bennet, that Miss Elizabeth would suit me very well. She is charming, very attractive, intelligent and altogether the most delightful young woman I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. However, I realize that she has had little opportunity to know me well and I do not wish to press my suit when she is not yet ready to hear it. I have asked her to allow me to call on her and she has agreed. As you and I had not met, I thought we should do so in order that I might assure you of my intentions.”

“You intend to marry my Lizzy?”

Mr. Bennet did not attempt to mask the amazement in his voice. He was grappling with the idea that a man, he had not known even existed, had walked into his bookroom and informed him that his favourite daughter was receptive to his courtship.

“I hardly know you, sir. You are a stranger to me in every respect. I. . .”

The captain could understand his host’s distress. “Perhaps, sir, if I informed you of my background, you would feel more. . .comfortable consenting to the courtship?”

Mr. Bennet nodded hesitantly.

“The first point I would make, Mr. Bennet, is that I left my family at the age of twelve to join the navy as a midshipman. My father accepted the matter as I had, for three or four years, been pressing him to allow me to do so. Once I was old enough, he made the necessary arrangements. I served for fifteen years, until my father’s passing three years ago. I rose to the rank of Post Captain and believe, if I had remained in the navy, would rise to become an admiral in ten or fifteen years. I chose to retire instead although my preference for the sea remains with me still.”

“What is your profession now, Captain?”

“I have acquired a few ships and carry goods from one continent to another, hither and yon, so to speak.” He smiled, “I even, on occasion, sail as a passenger on one my ships to explore new markets.”

Mr. Bennet opened his mouth and then closed it. His guest risked an eyebrow but Mr. Bennet shook his head.

“I would prefer, Mr. Bennet, to answer any questions you have now, rather than leave you in doubt of my intentions.”

Mr. Bennet considered the matter for several moments before shrugging and explaining his confusion.

“It is, I confess, a rather impertinent question and also one that should be raised only if my daughter accepts your offer of marriage. You will offer for her, will you not? You appear quite determined and I am quite sure that such is your intention. I doubt Lizzy would have accepted or encouraged your attentions if she did not believe it likely that she would accept your offer.”

The captain nodded before adding, "You may ask me any question, sir. Some I may not choose to answer, of course – at least at this time.”

“Very well, then. I admit to some confusion. The claims have circulated widely that your father’s estate was settled on your brother - your younger brother - which appears peculiar as the usual custom is to settle to the advantage of the eldest son. Yet your father did not do so and I gather you were welcomed at Netherfield, so there appears to be no ill-feeling between you. I am perplexed, sir. Sorely perplexed.”

The last was said with a rueful smile and the captain nodded briskly. He had not expected this issue to arise so quickly but better it be dealt with now than for suspicions to arise as to his situation.

“The circumstances are, I concede, peculiar, Mr. Bennet. My father, you see, wished to have the Bingley family rise into the ranks of the gentle folk, to have his son acquire an estate and put the family’s roots in trade behind them. My brother – who is seven years my junior - was educated as a gentleman, sent to a public school - Eton I believe - and then to Cambridge. I, on the other hand, went to sea at the age of twelve, at my own request, and my education was mainly of those matters which would advance my career. I did not learn Greek or Latin and, was not instructed in philosophy or the classics. I did acquire the rudiments of an education in literature and the histories but it was by the instruction of a few officers who had gained such knowledge and the interests which they implanted I developed over my years at sea. A captain, on a properly run ship, has a certain amount of time free to indulge such interests. Nonetheless, I was not educated as a gentleman, Mr. Bennet, and, in the year before his death, when my father raised the matter with me as to the disposition of his fortune, I declaimed any desire to acquire an estate or to aspire to his perception of a gentleman. He therefore settled the bulk of his fortune on my brother and did so with my blessing.”

“I do not understand then why you left the navy. You cannot. . .” Mr. Bennet paused only briefly as he recognized the answer to a question he had been about to raise, “You have other sources of income then?”

Captain Bingley nodded, “Remember I said he settled the bulk of his fortune on my brother. In fact, he gave him one hundred thousand pounds, set aside twenty thousand for each of my sisters and left the residual to me – about forty thousand pounds.”

“That is a handsome sum indeed.”

The captain nodded, “As well, I had at the time of my father’s passing, from my efforts in his Majesty’s Navy, accumulated another eighteen thousand pounds in prize money. I have spent the past three years building my own shipping business in Liverpool where I live. I own outright six ships, plan to acquire more and my income this year is a clear five thousand from business alone.”

Mr. Bennet smiled, “Hardly a pauper then.” He grinned at the captain, “Has my wife winkled the amount out of you yet?”

“I am not inexperienced in dealing with such inquiries, Sir. And not at all reluctant to simply not answer an impertinent question.”

“There’ll be no shortage of those when you visit.” Mr. Bennet muttered.

“Do you have further questions of me, Mr. Bennet?”

Mr. Bennet shook his head, “None that I can think of at the moment.”

“Then may I make a request, actually several requests, now that I think about it?”

At Mr. Bennet’s assent, he continued, “The first matter concerns Mr. Collins.”

Mr. Bennet was astonished. “What has my foolish cousin to do with the matter?”

“I have been given an intimation that Mrs. Bennet is forwarding a match between your cousin and Miss Elizabeth.”

Mr. Bennet gaped at him, “My Lizzy and Mr. Collins?” He began to laugh and at the confused glare on his guest’s face, laughed even harder. “Lizzy would never accept such a man and I had not believed my wife so foolish as to think she would. I certainly would never force her to accept him and I am sure she is aware of that.”

“Nonetheless, sir. The situation is. . .awkward.”

“I have no doubt, “Mr. Bennet chuckled, “that when I inform Mrs. Bennet that you will be calling on Lizzy, any expectations held by Mr. Collins will expire, and quickly.”

“I am not sure that Miss Elizabeth wishes to have the courtship become public knowledge. She will not be happy, I believe, to have her mother actively encourage the match.”

Mr. Bennet smirked, “Mrs. Bennet will become aware of your intentions almost as soon as you start calling on Lizzy. We might as well try to have her channel Mr. Collins towards another of my daughters.” He grimaced, “To have such a man as a son-in-law.”

He looked at his guest, "I will spare you Mrs. Bennet's effusions of delight and inform her that you intend to call on Elizabeth only after you leave. I presume we will see you again tomorrow?”

Captain Bingley nodded and, after a few more pleasantries, left Mr. Bennet’s bookroom to return to the parlour. There he was displeased to observe Mr. Collins sitting in very close proximity to Elizabeth and giving every appearance of annoying her exceedingly. Unfortunately, the man was oblivious to this result of his attentions and the captain could see he would have to take action to separate them. A slight nod and a brief smile imparted to Elizabeth that his meeting with her father had gone well. A notion crossed his mind and he decided to act upon it.

“Miss Elizabeth,” he said loudly, “your father wishes to speak with you.”

Elizabeth rose, and Mr. Collins did likewise as though to accompany her. Elizabeth looked at him in confusion.

“I believe my father wishes to speak with me, Mr. Collins.”

“I am certain, Cousin Elizabeth, that he would wish that I be part of any such discussions.”

Captain Bingley was about to decry any such wish on the part of Mr. Bennet but Elizabeth was not in want of assistance.

“I can assure you, Mr. Collins, from long association with my father, that should he desire your presence, he will be explicit in requesting it. He has asked to speak to me, and to me only.”

She afforded him a brief curtsy and moved to join the Captain briskly. They walked together in the direction of Mr. Bennet’s lair and Captain Bingley’s apologies were quickly made.

“I fear I employed a small strategy to separate you from Mr. Collins, for I wished to speak with you before I return to Netherfield. Your father has given his permission for our courtship and will speak to your mother tonight to. . .have Mr. Collins’ attentions. . .redirected.”

Elizabeth smiled and nodded, “He is quite the most odious creature, although I suppose I should not be so harsh. He is a respectable man but certainly not one I could ever respect.”

Captain Bingley smiled in return and said, “I shall call quite early in the morning. Do you still walk out before breaking your fast as you did at Netherfield?” At her nod he continued, “I shall join you then if you will provide me the direction.”

That information being imparted, he took his leave and returned to Netherfield, his mind already preoccupied with plans on how best to court Elizabeth while ensuring that his business affairs did not suffer from a want of attention. His arrival back at Netherfield went unnoticed, and he was able to remove to his rooms, wash and refresh himself before venturing downstairs. No one, apart from his brother, remarked on his absence and even he was satisfied when informed that he had been exploring Hertfordshire’s countryside.
SubjectAuthorPosted

The Other Mr. Bingley - Chapter 2

PeterApril 08, 2016 04:49PM

Re: The Other Mr. Bingley - Chapter 2

KathyApril 10, 2016 12:10AM

BethWApril 09, 2016 06:34AM

SabineCApril 09, 2016 08:54PM

KimberlyApril 09, 2016 03:53AM

LucieApril 09, 2016 02:00AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 15 plus 20?