Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

Re: Servants, Baggage, and Carraiges

April 28, 2022 06:09PM
I am under the impression that, on long trips, people did not use their own horses. I believe they only took horses a part of the distance (perhaps 20 miles or so) and then changed them out. I'm not sure why I think this, but if it's true, I do wonder how the horses are managed - was there an equine-equivalent to Enterprise, or did the independent livery stables know which horses went where, and 'rent' them back to the next person going in that direction? Or did they just send them back with a groom once they were rested? Either way, how much of the rental fee for the horses was to pay for their return, versus wear and tear on the horses? Did renting the horses include details about where they were to be dropped off? Were their penalties if the horse was worn out by going too fast? How were things like this enforced? And did Lady Catherine have some sort of standing arrangement with the owner of the Bell, in Bromley, which got her better service, or a reduced price?

One of the things I like about P&P fanfic is that you spend enough time on a rather narrow slice of history to wonder about all sorts details which you would miss if you just read one or two books from an era.
SubjectAuthorPosted

Servants, Baggage, and Carraiges

MichelleRWApril 27, 2022 02:49AM

LilyMay 02, 2022 05:25PM

HarveyApril 28, 2022 06:09PM

AlidaMay 16, 2022 09:43PM

HarveyMay 18, 2022 05:42PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 13 plus 2?