Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

Re: Another perspective on Persuasion

June 10, 2019 02:36AM
Kalee Wrote:
> At the end of the story, Anne still thinks that she was right to follow Lady Russell's
> advice even though she acknowledges that the advice might be wrong

That particular passage has always struck me as unromantic. Having finally become engaged after seven years' separation, it would be more heartwarming if both of them equally regretted the lost time. Certainly Wentworth does. Only five paragraphs after the dialog you reference above, Wentworth is reproaching himself for not having renewed his addresses to Anne sooner, and blaming his inaction on his own pride. Anne, however, is still justifying her original choice and trying to clear herself of any guilt ("I have now, as far as such a sentiment is allowable in human nature, nothing to reproach myself with").

I realize that practicality is part of Anne's character, but even so, this seems like a needlessly hurtful thing to say. She seems to be saying that she doesn't regret jilting him, a statement which, even if true, doesn't seem like the sort of thing one expresses aloud if one wishes to build a happy marriage.

- Alan -
SubjectAuthorPosted

Another perspective on Persuasion

KaleeJune 08, 2019 10:45PM

Agnes BeatrixAugust 02, 2019 01:24PM

Jim D.June 14, 2019 04:03AM

AlanJune 22, 2019 10:08PM

AlanJune 10, 2019 02:36AM

Agnes BeatrixAugust 02, 2019 01:52PM

AlidaJune 11, 2019 05:03AM

AlanJune 11, 2019 07:59AM

NN SJune 13, 2019 01:05AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 23 plus 16?