June 26, 2018 12:04PM
To clarify; I am thinking of him having 5-7000 so far, from his mother's side, which would be his primary source of income for living as his wage as a colonel is mostly eaten by required expenses. It would be what, 300ish pounds a year? It is ample for his comfort as a single man but certainly not enough to marry on and maintain anything like his present standards. (It is all relative, isn't it?! 300pa would be huge to most people then, but very modest, I think, for the son of an earl.) I plan for him to have a future inheritance of another 10k(?), secured to him via his mother's settlements - but Col. Fitzwilliam will get it only on his father's death. And yes, the earl's estate is sufficiently tied up that while there might be some minor other bequest, there will be nothing more substantial.

However, Lady Catherine and Lady Anne both had much larger fortunes than their sister-in-law, and in both cases, it was arranged to go to their younger children. Hence, Georgiana's 30,000. But as Lady Catherine did not have any younger children, her fortune is hers to dispose of however she wishes. It is, however, generosity with strings attached; she expects Anne to soon marry Darcy and be relocated to Pemberley and therefore, she wants to secure a new niece (and potential great-nephews and nieces), to be settled close to Rosings for Lady Catherine's pleasure. (Needless to say, things will not work out quite how Lady Catherine plans). Rosings is Lady Catherine's for her lifetime but secured to the de Bourgh line; going by the description of Lady Catherine being the one to grant Mr Collins the living of Hunsford, it isn't being held in trust or owned by Anne, it is Lady Catherine's.

I think all of that would be reasonable in Regency times - I am just checking to see if there is something I have missed.

I was thinking that Rosings must have an income of something like 8k a year, but I haven't found anything arguing a figure. I was pegging Darcy's total income at between 10 and 15k a year, most of it from Pemberley but some from investments and a couple of small estates that bring in 5-600 a year each.
SubjectAuthorPosted

Colonel Fitzwilliam's fortune

Cat H.June 22, 2018 02:32AM

Re: Colonel Fitzwilliam's fortune

LizzySJune 22, 2018 12:33PM

Harvey S.June 22, 2018 05:15PM

Sarah WaldockJune 25, 2018 08:27PM

AdelaideJuly 04, 2018 11:50PM

Sarah WaldockJuly 09, 2018 10:20AM

Cat H.June 26, 2018 12:04PM

Sarah WaldockJuly 09, 2018 10:22AM

Agnes BeatrixJuly 02, 2018 05:03PM

AmytatJuly 15, 2018 09:16PM

Sarah WaldockJuly 09, 2018 10:25AM

Harvey S.June 26, 2018 10:57PM

MarksOctober 05, 2018 12:41PM

AdelaideOctober 15, 2018 02:19AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 9 plus 17?