Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

Re: wild, wild plot idea

February 10, 2018 02:11AM
OK. So there's this 2015 Taiwanese drama titled "Bromance" available on Netflix in which the lead character has to pretend to be a boy until she's 25 or she'll die (fortune teller said so). Her family brings her up living the lie. She knows she's a girl pretending to be a boy, and she's a realistic if androgynous male except for the few times when she had to let her girl flag fly. Improbable situations and romance ensue.

Anyway, as far as using ideas from that in some period JAFF, maybe the plan is that Lydia doesn't need to pretend to be a guy her entire life, just until some of her sisters are comfortably married, and then she can sneak off to Ireland or Scotland or Canada and be as girly as she wants, or maybe she'll be reintroduced to her sisters' families as a long-lost cousin after her male-self suffers a mysterious but fatal accident. And maybe she is mostly tutored at home to prevent boys from finding out her secret in schools. Maybe she spends more time with the Gardiners in London since she's not some spoiled brat, and that's how she gets to know other men her age without getting familiar enough with them to be at risk. And maybe as part of her brotherly duties, she had to introduce her sisters to eligible bachelors. So maybe she invites some friends to Longbourne for a hunting/"meet my sisters and fall in love with one so I can move on with my life" party, or maybe she talks her gullible buddy Bingley into renting Netherfield to host an even larger party. And that's how Jane and Lizzie meet Bingley and Darcy. And while those courtships are in the spotlight, Lydia is trying to ignore a budding attraction to a young man who doesn't seem to mind that she's a guy. Improbable situations and romance ensue. (If someone does this, please have Caroline Bingley flirt with Lydia like she does with Darcy. Maybe the two can bond over the shared experience. And, after growing up with 4 older sisters, if guys keep coming up to Lydia to ask for her advice about what girls like, that could be entertainingly cringe-worthy too.) And maybe, after Jane and Lizzie get married, Lydia elopes, and the guy's name is not George Wickham.

While I totally see why it has to be Lydia who is made out to be a boy rather than an older sister, it feels like a Mary opportunity to me.
SubjectAuthorPosted

wild, wild plot idea

Sarah WaldockFebruary 08, 2018 12:48PM

Re: thanks all!

Sarah WaldockFebruary 10, 2018 05:56PM

Re: thanks all!

AlidaFebruary 10, 2018 08:34PM

Re: Murder and Muslin

Sarah WaldockFebruary 10, 2018 09:03PM

AmytatFebruary 10, 2018 01:58PM

AlidaFebruary 09, 2018 05:02AM

Harvey S.February 11, 2018 05:15PM

AmytatFebruary 10, 2018 01:57PM

EmelynFebruary 09, 2018 03:06PM

Re: even more wild plot idea

EmelynFebruary 10, 2018 04:15AM

Agnes BeatrixFebruary 09, 2018 08:33PM

NN SFebruary 10, 2018 02:11AM

Harvey S.February 11, 2018 05:22PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 9 plus 14?