Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

“Jane & Me” a new book for Austen lovers!

August 31, 2017 10:32PM
I have twice had the pleasure of listening to Caroline Jane Knight speak about her childhood in Chawton House (at the Jane Austen Society of Melbourne). She is the fifth great-niece of JA and her early life was closely interwoven with the history of the Knight and Austen families. The family fortunes of the Knight family had dwindled over the generations and Caroline and her parents and brother were forced to leave their beloved home. Caroline eventually migrated to Australia and for years tried not to think about her heritage – it was too painful. With the revival of all things Austen (1995 onwards) she was challenged to consider it again. She has now written this wonderful, engaging account, filled with reminiscences and anecdotes. In addition, she founded the Jane Austen Literacy Foundation, with the aim of spreading the joy of reading to those who have not yet had the chance to learn, or are semi-literate. Fifteen percent of all books sold and events are donated to the foundation, which is run solely by volunteers. Money raised in Australia is spent on the indigenous communities. Money raised in the rest of the world is spent in other countries, e.g. for literacy kits for temporary schools run by UNICEF in Syria. I commend both the book and the foundation to you all!
SubjectAuthorPosted

“Jane & Me” a new book for Austen lovers!

AlidaAugust 31, 2017 10:32PM

Re: “Jane & Me” a new book for Austen lovers!

Sarah WaldockSeptember 10, 2017 12:42AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 15 plus 19?