Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

Re: A question about grammar

Lily - not logged in
July 18, 2017 02:28PM
Thank you, Janet!

I found the article very enlightening. According to its author, I apparently have the rule backward - surprising as it may seem.

“The writer who risks a sentence like Mary is taller than him in formal writing must be prepared to defend the usage against objections of critics.”

This means that, in formal contexts, one should always say than he, than + subjective pronoun, if only to avoid criticism.

The whole debate between the "than me - team" and the "than I - team" is fascinating, but I admit I am disappointed there is no higher authority that definitely sets the rules. In my country there's an important society of scholars (linguists and philologists) that studies our language and its changes, and regularly publishes articles on grammar matters (among other things). I always rely on those when I'm uncertain about the correct rules. Isn't there something similar in the UK or the USA?

I should also find some British sources on this topic. Dorothee might be right in saying that US English is often more flexible in its grammar matters.
SubjectAuthorPosted

A question about grammar

LilyJuly 16, 2017 09:02AM

marksSeptember 11, 2017 12:18PM

JanetRJuly 16, 2017 03:08PM

Lily - not logged inJuly 18, 2017 02:28PM

DorotheeJuly 19, 2017 06:04PM

AlanAugust 06, 2017 07:47AM

Harvey S.July 18, 2017 04:51PM

DorotheeJuly 17, 2017 10:21AM

cpaulineJuly 21, 2017 03:40PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 8 plus 22?