Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

A question about grammar

July 16, 2017 09:02AM
Hi!

I've had this question for some time and today, after finding the same mistake (or what I think is a mistake) in a book for the umpteenth time, I decided to ask for your help.

I'm not a native speaker. I learnt English at school and all of my teachers (and all of my grammar books) taught me that, when using a comparative adjective, after "than" goes an objective pronoun, not a subjective one.

E.g. He's taller than her = right

E.g. He's taller than she = wrong

But it's correct to say:

He's taller than she is.

That's the rule as I know it. However, in each and every book I've read so far, I found something like:

"He had more to prove than they."

I should probably point out that these books are mosty written by American authors, and have all been published in the last fifteen to twenty years. I don't remember ever finding this "mistake" in Austen or Dickens.

I'd really like to know if this is a new rule or if it's still correct to use comparatives the way I learnt. Links to articles about grammar would be welcome, if you know any.

Thank you!
SubjectAuthorPosted

A question about grammar

LilyJuly 16, 2017 09:02AM

Re: A question about grammar

marksSeptember 11, 2017 12:18PM

JanetRJuly 16, 2017 03:08PM

Lily - not logged inJuly 18, 2017 02:28PM

DorotheeJuly 19, 2017 06:04PM

AlanAugust 06, 2017 07:47AM

Harvey S.July 18, 2017 04:51PM

DorotheeJuly 17, 2017 10:21AM

cpaulineJuly 21, 2017 03:40PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 9 plus 20?