Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

Re: A Jane Austen Price List

June 12, 2017 09:15AM
A well researched list. Thank you!

Lizzy C.
The two secondary sources I've drawn heavily on are Deirdre Le Faye's Jane Austen: The World of Her Novels and Daniel Pool's What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew.

The only caveat I would add about Daniel Pool's book is that it covers such a wide date range, and he didn't always make clear where things only apply to the Regency or Victorian periods. It's a useful book but I always like to double check with another source before using the information in it.

The system of money/coins was the same throughout the 19th century, so the parts you quoted regarding money would be correct. I do have some more information on Regency bank notes and cheques if you're interested.

Lizzy C.
100,000 pounds — the annual income of the Duke of Devonshire’s estates at Chatsworth in Derbyshire, an income augmented by mining interests in Derbyshire and rents from properties in London.

Adding to the above, the 6th Duke of Devonshire inherited his father’s titles, estates, and an annual income reported to be £70,000 a year in 1814. However, at the same time he also inherited debts of £593,000, which cost him more than £29,000 a year in interest. Including pensions and annuities to relatives, his disposable income was less than half his annual income. He also owned four country houses, (Chatsworth being one) three houses in London, and employed a staff of one hundred and eighty one. By 1844 it was estimated that the Duke’s debts had grown to almost one million pounds.

siggyquill.gif
SubjectAuthorPosted

A Jane Austen Price List

Lizzy C.June 03, 2017 08:11PM

Heather FJune 12, 2017 09:15AM

Caroline01June 16, 2017 09:52AM

Sarah WaldockJune 11, 2017 10:44PM

Sarah WaldockJune 11, 2017 10:24PM

AnnikaJune 07, 2017 06:41PM

AlanJune 05, 2017 05:44AM

AdelaideJuly 23, 2017 08:52PM

DorotheeJune 04, 2017 07:41PM

Edmund's expected living from Thornton Lacey

AdelaideJuly 23, 2017 08:28PM

Sharon ElaineJune 04, 2017 04:22AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 15 plus 12?