Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

Re: Goings on in conversation

November 12, 2016 10:16PM
I dunno, I've seen people colour, and gasp, and bite their lips. After all, what is the breath caught in the throat but a gasp? It's the body language of teenagers and essentially many of the protagonists are teenagers, or only just out of their teens. .I am not sure if this is due to having gone to an all girl's school with a rather rarefied atmosphere where boys were strange alien beings. It could just be that co-educational girls are less likely to find things to blush about, or show shock or shyness, because if they were going to be shocked they got over it when they were about 10. At least, the language of many young teens of both sexes is enough to make me blench at times. And we Brits aren't mealy mouthed as a whole! And I confess as well as blenching, my breath caught in my throat from sheer shock as I glared pointedly at the string of obscenities from the mouth of a fairy-like child of about 4.
I usually give pointed looks [generally with one elevated eyebrow] if I think a conversation is running out of the savoury or meandering away from the actualité.
Maybe it's just a feature of the period, when girls particularly were more sheltered? though I can certainly feel myself colour up if I've done something remarkably and embarrassingly stupid. Like putting the peeled sprouts into the washing machine and trying to cook socks.
SubjectAuthorPosted

Goings on in conversation

Rae ElaineNovember 12, 2016 04:14PM

An evolution in creativity, inside the gaps

Femme MalheureuseNovember 19, 2016 08:26AM

Re: An evolution in creativity, inside the gaps

Sarah WaldockNovember 20, 2016 03:23PM

Re: An evolution in creativity, inside the gaps

Rae ElaineNovember 19, 2016 10:44PM

Suzanne ONovember 13, 2016 03:04AM

Agnes BeatrixNovember 14, 2016 06:22AM

going against real-life conventions

LiseNovember 14, 2016 01:44PM

Have fun...

Sarah WaldockNovember 14, 2016 09:26PM

Sarah WaldockNovember 14, 2016 11:50AM

Sarah WaldockNovember 12, 2016 10:16PM

tJeanNovember 13, 2016 10:51AM

Re:grinning smiley (nfm)

Sarah WaldockNovember 13, 2016 02:20PM

Jean M.November 12, 2016 08:38PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 25 plus 12?