Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

Re: The not so charming Austen villains....

March 14, 2016 02:05AM
While you are entirely right about John Dashwood, I feel compelled to point out that Sir Walter left his middle daughter at home every year while he and his older daughter went to spend the season in London. He practically denied her identity as his daughter, except when he was complaining about her. Very cold-hearted and selfish.

The list of secondary Austen characters who deserve our condemnation is pretty long. Isabella Thornton, from Northanger Abbey, is perhaps too young to get a full share of contempt, but really is a scheming little flirt with no scruples and lots of greed. At least her brother John is mainly just stupid. When I think of Mansfield Park, I think of Lady Bertram, who is always described as good-natured, but so very lazy and self-centered that she has no idea what is going on with her children, and she does nothing at all to prevent Mrs. Norris from abusing and mistreating Fanny, and in fact mistreats Fanny herself by the way she demands constant attendance and attention. You can't hate her the way you hate Mrs. Norris, but it's hard to like her either.
SubjectAuthorPosted

The not so charming Austen villains....

Jim G.MMarch 13, 2016 02:12PM

Lucy J.March 14, 2016 03:35AM

PeterMarch 13, 2016 09:33PM

Jim G.MMarch 13, 2016 11:14PM

Suzanne OMarch 14, 2016 02:05AM

Jim G.MMarch 14, 2016 12:43PM

PeterMarch 14, 2016 09:33AM

PeterMarch 13, 2016 11:31PM

Jim G.MMarch 13, 2016 11:50PM

Rae ElaineMarch 13, 2016 08:41PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 20 plus 24?