Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

Re: Express riders on Sunda?

August 10, 2015 02:05AM
Right-- I really did know that a horse-drawn carriage couldn't go London to Derbyshire overnight... I suspect I was thinking about Bristol (it's been that sort of day winking smiley ). Anyways, the British Postal Museum's website says that the average speed of mail coaches was usually 7-8 mph in summer and about 5 mph in winter; improvements to roads brought this up to averaging 10 mph by the time Queen Victoria came to the throne.

Ron and Eunice Shanahan wrote a nice piece on postal history that was reposted on the Regency Collection (http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~awoodley/Regency.html). One of the letters they include (dated 5 November 1798) reads:
'I sent your bill and my bills on the late Mr. Broadhurst in a parcel to the Swan with Two Necks in Lad Lane last night to go by this mornings coach to Derby so that you will receive them tomorrow evening.'

(The Swan with Two Necks was the largest coaching inn in London at the time.) This confused me a bit because everything I've read has stressed that mail coaches departed London in the evening (7 or 8pm) to avoid traffic. I suppose that a coach leaving London in the evening was still going into the morning hours, so perhaps this what the writer meant by "this morning's coach"? If the writer's parcel left the London Swan in the evening and arrived in Derby two days hence in the evening, that would be +-48 hours travel time.

Cheers,
Jean
SubjectAuthorPosted

Express riders on Sunda?

LizzySAugust 09, 2015 04:05AM

Jean M.August 09, 2015 04:02PM

Sarah WaldockAugust 09, 2015 08:08PM

Jean M.August 10, 2015 02:05AM

Sarah WaldockAugust 10, 2015 11:04PM

RJanAugust 09, 2015 10:02PM

Re: Express riders on Sunday?

LizzySAugust 09, 2015 10:33PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 4 plus 18?