Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

Re: Express riders on Sunda?

August 09, 2015 04:02PM
Hi Lizzy--

I'm not sure about express riders, but my impression is that everything pretty much shut down on Sundays (except churches, of course). Of course, a personal express rider could probably be paid to ride at any time.

On a slightly related note, I've been doing a little research about the Regency era postal system that might be relevant: the British Postal Museum and Archive has quite a nice site:

http://www.postalheritage.org.uk/explore/history/mail-coaches/

By the end of the 18th century, the Royal Mail service was well-organized. Royal Mail Coaches traveled at night, leaving London at 7 or 8pm and traveling very fast (6 horses and no toll stops) for major post towns (Bristol, Edinburgh,Glasgow, Manchester, etc.); there were 42 mail coach routes before it began to be replaced by mail trains. As I understand it, mail coaches would stop at coaching inns at regular intervals to change horses and drop off a bag(s) of mail for that area. When the coach drove through towns that weren't scheduled stops, the mail coach guard would toss a bag of letters down and grab the bag of outgoing post from the local postmaster. I haven't spent much time researching this, but my impression is that a letter sent by Royal Mail from London would be in Derbyshire by the next morning, though it might then take some time to be carried from the local postmaster to the recipient.

All of that was a long-winded way of saying that a letter sent by regular post would usually arrive the next day. Hopefully another dwiggie will know about expresses!

Another random nugget while I'm on the topic: the royal mail coach was a large, enclosed 4-wheeled carriage with doors and windows. 4 passengers could ride inside and up to 8 passengers outside. It was expensive and fast, but also made only a few stops at major towns. In bus terms, traveling by royal mail coach was like taking an express, while taking the stage coach was like taking the "local" bus that stopped at pre-appointed stages (every ten miles or so) to pick up and/or drop off passengers, etc. (=cheaper and slower). As I understand it, to travel by post chaise meant that you owned your carriage and rented fresh horses from coaching inns along your route-- the horses were also used for the mail coach (I'm hoping that someone more knowledgable will correct me on this if I'm misinterpreting what I've read!). Traveling by post chaise gave you control over your route and speed, whereas traveling by mail coach or stage coach took you along a set route.

So... there's your random bit of trivia for the day... hope it helps someone!

Best,
Jean
SubjectAuthorPosted

Express riders on Sunda?

LizzySAugust 09, 2015 04:05AM

Jean M.August 09, 2015 04:02PM

Sarah WaldockAugust 09, 2015 08:08PM

Jean M.August 10, 2015 02:05AM

Sarah WaldockAugust 10, 2015 11:04PM

RJanAugust 09, 2015 10:02PM

Re: Express riders on Sunday?

LizzySAugust 09, 2015 10:33PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 25 plus 24?