Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

Alida.

July 16, 2015 10:51AM
Alida
Thanks, Jim, for writing a Mary story. She has been somewhat neglected both in canon and subsequently. I have, however, read an article discussing "The Afterlives of Mary Bennet" by Juliette Wells. It mentions that three books have been published fairly recently about Mary, one of them by Colleen McCullough (author of "The Torn Birds"). Not that I feel the need to buy these, since we now have you, Jim, to satisfy us in respect of Mary!

Ha, I'm hardly on a par with such exalted company Alida, and I don't intend my story to be more than a homage to Pride and Prejudice, certainly not a competitor for it or even a "What Mary Did" sort of thing. I don't think I've ever come across a story like P & P (and I first met it many years ago) that's so rich in opportunity for improvisation. It lets us expand on characters whilst still moving around canon of the main story. Such is the fun and genius of Jane Austen. Many more that I have seen this, hence the stories of even the boring king of eating sausages, Mr Hurst. I think it was the delightful Tessa Peake Jones who played Mary back in 1980 that set me off realising that there was a funny, attractive and intelligent girl hiding behind a bookish nobody. I thought, "Come out and play Mary! " (-:
SubjectAuthorPosted

Alida.

Jim G.MJuly 16, 2015 10:51AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 21 plus 4?