Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

Abomination! Now with more damning thunderbolts!

April 25, 2015 07:03PM
I'm still chuckling over Jim G.M.'s one-shot entitled Leviticus in the DWG. Not what I expected, but then I have always been rather contrary.

I was certain Charlotte would have asked Reverend Collins to condemn Lady Catherine's turtle soup and her nephew's partaking of lobster fricassée. And who can forget the abomination that was Christmas ham, served at Rosings in celebration of the previous holiday?

Alas, no condemnation, either, of those trendy matching tattoos Darcy and Bingley got one night after some binge drinking with their homies, inspired by Colonel Fitzwilliam's tattoo of his regimental crest.

And so much for the critique of tortoiseshell tea caddy, or the employment of tortoiseshell and shell buttons.

It's like those British did everything possible to face the Lord's wrath! *laughing*

Leviticus 11:7 And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you.
8 Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they are unclean to you.
[...]
10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:
11 They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.
12 Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.
[...]
28 Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord.

I do think in examining Regency period behavior we are looking a culture on the cusp of breakthrough. They are very ready to dispense with multi-millenia old definitions of "unclean" and ready to adopt science about microbiology and epidemiology — fortunately, in time to save countless lives.

The last lingering superstitions are sticky, though; let's hope they fade away as did the prohibitions against shrimp and oysters.

Anyhow...pass the bacon, please. I'm sure Charlotte won't mind if I eat her portion.
SubjectAuthorPosted

Abomination! Now with more damning thunderbolts!

Femme MalheureuseApril 25, 2015 07:03PM

Re: Abomination! Now with more damning thunderbolts!

RedsonApril 26, 2015 12:44AM

Oops, sorry- I think I figured out what you are saying

RedsonApril 26, 2015 01:11AM

Re: Oops, sorry- I think I figured out what you are saying

Jean M.April 26, 2015 07:24PM

Re: Oops, sorry- I think I figured out what you are saying

Jim G.MApril 26, 2015 12:46PM

Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 20 plus 16?