Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

Re: The importance of Mr Bennet and Mr Collins....

April 19, 2015 12:10AM
I heard in an interview somewhere that one of her nieces had said Mr. Bennet was the character that most resembled Jane Austen (but I can’t remember where I heard it and can’t vouch for weather it’s valid.) Then there is this:

Letter to Cassandra, Steventon: Saturday (October 27, 1978)
Mrs. Hall, of Sherborne, was brought to bed yesterday of a dead child, some weeks before she expected, owing to a fright. I suppose she happened unawares to look at her husband.

…which does sound like the kind of biting humor Mr. Bennet sometimes displays. I will say for Mr. Bennet that he turns his wit on himself as much as he does others. I can imagine that if, in response to his comment about his wife’s nerves, one were to say something like, “You must be enjoy their companionship, you so often invite them.” He might grin and invite the person for a glass of port in the library winking smiley

Another possibility for Mr. Collins is she’s poking fun at the sort of celery person who imagines himself to be pious but thinks primarily of his own comfort, without having a particular person in mind. The only character who seems to me to come close to personifying “the church's straight-laced ecclesiastical influence on life” is Edmund Bertram but then he isn’t a comical character. (Tangent: it does strike me that she gives her clergymen a wide range of personalities across her books.)

I would imagine parson’s daughters to vary in personality as much as anyone else.
SubjectAuthorPosted

The importance of Mr Bennet and Mr Collins....

Jim G.MApril 15, 2015 01:05PM

AmytatApril 19, 2015 12:27AM

RedsonApril 19, 2015 01:55AM

JanetRApril 15, 2015 04:02PM

Harvey S.April 16, 2015 09:55PM

Jim G.MApril 16, 2015 10:30PM

Jim G.MApril 15, 2015 04:27PM

AmytatApril 19, 2015 12:10AM

RedsonApril 19, 2015 01:49AM

Amy A-NWApril 20, 2015 10:42PM

Jim G.MApril 19, 2015 11:22AM

PeterApril 16, 2015 04:48PM

JanetRApril 15, 2015 04:38PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 25 plus 19?