Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

Moonstruck - Chapter 4

September 11, 2015 02:07AM
Chapter 4

“Rachel, a moment of your time, please?”

Mr. Winterbottom rarely interacted with his daughter, especially now that she was of an age to marry, preferring to leave most of her life in his wife's hands. When he asked to speak to her, Rachel was curious and followed him into his study.

“You want to speak to me, Papa?”

“Yes.” He invited her to sit, and she readily complied. “I understand you have received offers from the Hartwell gentlemen.”

“I... Yes, I have, and I have refused them, as well.”

Her father shook his head. “I feared that. Do you know what trouble that has caused?”

“Trouble? Papa, I do not love either of them and I cannot foresee a future with the one. His brother, either, if you wish the truth.”

“Rachel, Rachel...”

She was beginning to get worried. “What is it, Papa?”

“Do you know how much money I owe Hartwell?”

“What?” As far as Rachel knew, the Winterbottoms were well-off. At least all of her needs had always been met. There had never been any conversations on economizing, as far as she recalled, and if that is what they had been required to do, she would have heard of it before now. “How can this be?”

“I had to borrow money recently, and did not realize that it was Hartwell's funds I was getting. Now he is demanding that I pay them all back at once. Unless you marry one of his sons.”

A hand flew to Rachel's mouth. “Oh, no! Papa, I cannot!”

“But you must! Otherwise, we shall we ruined.”

“Ruined!” Tears streamed down Rachel's cheeks. “But I do not want to be a Hartwell!”

“That is too bad. I have met with Mr. Hartwell and we have decided that you have until the Red Moon in a fortnight's time to choose which young man you will marry. You may have any one you like, as long as he is a Hartwell.”

“Papa!” Rachel wailed once more, but her father was past hearing, and he swiftly left the room.

Rachel spent the week with red eyes and nose, feeling as if she could not catch her breath. Not normally a weepy female, she just could not quite get herself under control. Her mother tried to get her to contain her grief, even at the wedding of her dearest friends, Arabella and Cosmo, but the fact that they were marrying for love made Rachel cry even harder.

Back in town, she continued to mope and weep, and even the twins began to avoid her. Try as she might, she was unable to find a way out of her predicament with the Hartwells. Pray as she might, there was no one to talk to, no one who might be able to confer some advice... And then she knew in whom she could confide. Why had she not thought of this before?

Rachel ran to her room to collect her wraps and bonnet before stopping to consider the propriety of her plan. But she knew something that would add respectability to her scheme. Or someone. Two someones, to be exact. She skipped off to the nursery and told the twins to get their coats.

“We are going out,” she told Katie. “We will not be overly long, but I do believe now would be a good time to take the afternoon off.” She gave the nursery maid a broad wink.

The twins whooped and ran for their outerwear, and they all went out of the house together, catching a hansom on the corner.

“Where are we going?” Michael finally asked.

“It is a surprise.” But first, Rachel had the driver stop at Fortnum and Mason to buy a small hamper of treats with her pin money. All for a good cause, she reasoned, and the money be damned.

Only later, after the cab let them out in front of a shabby little church in a disreputable neighborhood did Rachel wonder if she was right to come. When the vicar answered her knock at a side door, and gave her a bright smile of welcome, she knew her instinct had been correct.

“We hate to intrude, sir...” She let out a little laugh. “Indeed, we do not even know your name.”

“Call me Alex,” he invited, and indicated that they should all step inside. Rachel and her siblings followed him to a small parlor with a warm fire and she held out the basket.

“We came to share tea with you, and could not arrive empty-handed.”

“It is all most welcome. My housekeeper made a pot of tea and jam sandwiches before she went home for the day. With your offerings, we should have a merry tea.”

“Jam sandwiches!” Michael exclaimed. He plopped himself down in the chair closest to the fire and sighed.

“Michael!” Rachel admonished, but the vicar just shook his head and made a quiet comment about young men and their comforts.

Later, after most of the goods had been consumed and the tea had grown cold, Rachel got the children interested in a game of chess before settling down near the fire.

“I dare not hope you are merely here for the company, Miss Winterbottom, especially when I know you do not lack for companionship and activity elsewhere.”

“It is true that I could find something else to occupy my time. However, I lack a sympathetic ear and it was my hope that I may find one here.”

The vicar held his hands out sideways. “I am here for you.”

“Thank you. I fear I have had bad news, but for the sake of the children, I shall try not to cry any more. Indeed, I feel as if I have already filled a lake with my tears. And they have done me no good.”

“So, you are in some distress? How may I assist you?”

“By listening to my woes. Believe me, if there were a way out of this, sir, I like to think I could have figured it out by now.”

“You do not appear to be a slowtop.”

“Exactly. I have to marry, sir, and it is to a gentleman not of my choosing. Actually, I have a choice, but as it is one brother over another for a husband, that is not much of a consolation.”

“Let me get this correct: You are choosing to be married, or you are being forced to marry?”

“They are one and the same at the moment, sir. My father, it appears, is indebted to another man, and if I do not choose to wed one of his sons, we are ruined.”

The vicar made a strange, choking sound.

“Are you all right?”

“I...”

“Hard to swallow, is it not?” Rachel shook her head.

“What, if I may ask, was the exact wording of the agreement?”

She feared the gentleman might have apoplexy, he was so red in the face, and she watched him carefully, even as she lowered her voice to keep the twins from overhearing their conversation.

“Let me see... Something about having to marry one of the Hartwell brothers or see my family in financial ruin.”

“Ah.” Alex seemed to relax at that, and his skin color cleared as he settled back into his chair and smiled. “You may not like my advice, Miss Winterbottom, but I do believe you should follow your family's wishes.”

“I should?” She frowned. “I should. After all, I cannot let my family down.”

“No, indeed. And, as I am a man of faith, may I say that I will be praying for you.”

“I appreciate that. After all, I did not come here today for any reason but to unload my cares.” What had she hoped to accomplish today, anyway? “I suppose I just needed the support.”

“You have my support, Miss Winterbottom. You always will.”

“Check!” Elizabeth cried. Michael groaned and conceded the game. “I win again!”

“The natives are restless, sir, and our time grows short.” Rachel indicated that the children should put away their game board and pieces, and got to her feet. “I do hope that one day we shall meet again,” she said in a soft voice. “I will be so bold as to say that I wish things might have been different.” She would gladly have given up all her privilege if he would but declare himself.

“So do I. Please do not be discouraged, Miss Winterbottom. God knows our dilemmas and often provides a way out that we cannot foresee.” He daringly took her hand and brought it to his lips. “I will pray for strength. And hope.”

Rachel smiled, glad she had come to confide in this man. She had the strange sensation that he would yet be her salvation.

Doubts returned however, on the ride home, and Rachel was torn between the warmth in the vicar's eyes and his advice that she do what she needed to save her family. Part of her wished to throw herself in his arms and declare that she could live the life of a poor vicar's wife, if he would have her. And then she looked over at the twins, sleeping propped up against each other, and knew she would protect their way of life. After all, their eldest sister, Lady Renquist, would take in their parents and the children, and between Ellen and her pompous husband, they would make everyone absolutely miserable.

No, the vicar was far more correct than he ever knew. She had to go through with this farce of a marriage. There were too many people depending on her decision. But which brother?

They were rather the same person. What one knew, the other certainly did. Which did not seem to amount to much. On the other hand, Rachel was smarter than either of them – or both together. She could basically do whatever she pleased. It occurred to her that being a married woman with a large income could be to her advantage. Until Hartwell senior stepped in at some point, of course, but she was certain she could deal with him, as well. So, which Hartwell to choose?

Fortunately, a solution presented itself upon their return home. An invitation from the elder Mr. Hartwell had arrived in Rachel's absence and the Winterbottoms had been asked to the Hartwell estate in Surrey. The Hartwells wished the Winterbottoms to be pampered and feted a week before the wedding, culminating in a special ceremony.

Rachel had a week with the Hartwell brothers and she was determined to use the time to make her choice.
SubjectAuthorPosted

Moonstruck - Chapter 4

Cindy C.September 11, 2015 02:07AM

Re: Moonstruck - Chapter 4

UlrikeSeptember 12, 2015 08:41AM

Re: Moonstruck - Chapter 4

LisetteSeptember 11, 2015 08:07PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 15 plus 22?