Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

The Other Mr. Bingley - Chapter Ten

May 02, 2016 11:18PM
Last Chapter - although i will be posting a brief Epilogue

Chapter Ten

Monday December 23, 1811

Mrs. Bennet had the pleasure of receiving her brother and his wife, who came as usual to spend Christmas at Longbourn and, this year, to attend Elizabeth’s wedding. Mr. Gardiner was a sensible, gentlemanlike man, greatly superior to his sister by nature and education. The Netherfield ladies would have had difficulty in believing that a man who lived by trade, and within view of his own warehouses, could have been so well bred and agreeable. Mrs. Gardiner, who was several years younger than Mrs. Bennet and Mrs. Philips, was an amiable, intelligent, elegant woman, and a great favourite with all her Longbourn nieces. Between the two eldest and herself especially, there subsisted a very particular regard. They had frequently stayed with her in town.

The first part of Mrs. Gardiner’s business on her arrival, was to distribute her presents and describe the newest fashions. When this was done, she had a less active part to play. It became her turn to listen. Mrs. Bennet had much happy news and one grievance to relate, and despite the fact that two of her daughters were to marry, the manner in which that was to be accomplished left her with much to complain of. It was firmly fixed in her mind that she had not been afforded sufficient time to prepare for Elizabeth’s wedding and the affair would reflect poorly on her and the Bennet family.

“They would not heed me, sister. I have been allowed but three weeks to arrange Lizzy’s wedding – three weeks when three months would hardly been enough time. But so it is. Those who have been most poorly used are not allowed to complain. How I am to bear the mortification, I do not know. No flowers, sister! No flowers are to be had and Mr. Bennet will not allow me to send for them from London.”

Mrs. Gardiner murmured something unintelligible. Mrs. Bennet was pleased to have a sympathetic ear and needed nothing more.

“It is not fitting, sister. A man of Captain Bingley’s consequence surely deserves a more than the simple arrangements I have been forced to accept. He is, I am told, as wealthy as his brother although he earns it in trade. Mr. Bennet assures me he is a gentleman although how that can be so, I do not understand.”

“I believe he is considered a gentleman because he was a captain in the Royal Navy.”

"Yes! Yes! I suppose it must be so, particularly if the king has deemed him such. I must confess I do not understand why it should be so.”

Mrs. Gardiner thought to divert her sister’s thoughts to Jane’s good fortune.

“I understand the captain’s brother is a very amiable gentleman.”

“Indeed he is, sister. Most amiable. Jane has done very well but I always knew it would be so. I was sure that as soon as he met her, he would wish to marry her and so he did. If only I could convince him to delay their wedding to April, I would have nothing more to wish for; but he will not allow it to be so and Jane is being so disobliging as to side with him on the matter. Why, do you know she wished to marry with Elizabeth? A double wedding! In three weeks? Fortunately, I was able to dissuade her but she would insist on marrying as soon as her sister could return from Liverpool.”

Mrs. Gardiner looked puzzled.

“Oh, Lizzy must travel to Liverpool to inspect houses with Captain Bingley for he has been living in an apartment which is quite unsuitable for a married man. He has assured me that his solicitor has already found a half dozen homes for their inspection. If only Lizzy had delayed her wedding, I might travel with them to lend her my assistance for I am sure she has no idea of what to look for and you know her tastes in furnishings? Well, she will not have it so and I cannot afford to leave with all the arrangements that must be made for Jane. You know, do you not, that Mr. Bingley is to hold a ball to honour his engagement? What a tribute to Jane! And Netherfield is the finest home in the neighbourhood and Jane is to be its mistress.”

Mrs. Bennet might well have been content to continue in this vein for some time alternating praising her daughters for the fine gentlemen they had secured and complaining that they gave no thought to their mother’s nerves by ordering their marriages to take place so precipitously. Mrs. Gardiner finally felt compelled to interrupt.

You have every reason to be pleased, sister. Your daughters have done very well for themselves. I am looking forward to meeting their gentlemen.”

Mrs. Bennet’s pleasure in the marriages of two of her daughters did not extinguish her dismay that a third prospect had escaped.

“Yes! Yes! We should expect them later. But, Mary! Oh, sister! It is very hard to think that she might have been Mr. Collins’s wife by this time, had not it been for Mr. Collins’ perverseness. I am sure he would have made her an offer if she had been more assiduous in her attentions, for after he learned that Lizzy was being courted, he should have directed his attentions to Mary, but did he do so? No indeed, and Mary did not help him at all. I am sure that she could have secured him if she had tried. The consequence of it is that Lady Lucas will have a daughter married instead, and that Longbourn estate is just as much entailed as ever. The Lucases are very artful people indeed, sister. They are all for what they can get. I am sorry to say it of them, but so it is. It makes me very nervous and poorly, to be thwarted so in my own family for Mr. Collins has used me very ill after assuring me he wished to marry one of my daughters. And to have neighbours who think of themselves before anybody else. However, your coming just at this time is the greatest of comforts, and I am very glad to hear what you tell us, of long sleeves.”

Mrs. Gardiner, to whom the chief of this news had been given before, in the course of Jane and Elizabeth’s correspondence with her, made her sister a slight answer and, in compassion to her nieces, turned the conversation to a discussion of their betrothed.

The meeting of the Gardiners with James and Charles Bingley took place later that afternoon, for the gentlemen had been invited to dinner with the express purpose of making those very introductions which took place as soon as they entered the parlour. James saw Elizabeth’s sly look at him, to see how he bore it. That the Gardiners were her favourite relatives, he knew already and that she esteemed them both greatly had been as readily vouchsafed. If he had any reservations it was simply that, perhaps without realizing it, he had a vision of Mr. Gardiner as a male version of Mrs. Bennet. In this he was pleased to be disappointed, for it had taken but a few minutes of conversation to recognize Mr. Gardiner’s intelligence, taste and good manners. This was the gentleman his sisters had so disparaged and he was heartily ashamed of them. Mrs. Gardiner was her husband’s equal in every measure and he could only be gratified to acquire such relatives by his marriage.

Over the course of the days leading up to the wedding, the Gardiners were given many opportunities to become better acquainted with the Bingley brothers. James felt that he was an object of greater interest than his brother and suspected the reason might lie in the speed with which his courting of Elizabeth had taken place. It was clear to him that she held a special place in their regard and from the nature of the questions addressed to him, they wished to assure themselves that he would take proper care of her. As their wishes accorded with his own, he was more than ready to satisfy their curiosity and, as they were discrete and proper in their probing, he found no reason to be offended. It was, in fact, when Mr. Gardiner was questioning about his career in the Royal Navy that a firm link was established between them, for Mr. Gardiner was much interested in naval history, devoured the Naval Chronicle and was extremely interested in the battle of Trafalgar having read several accounts of it. Once he learned James had been present at the battle, nothing would do but that he recount the whole of it from start to finish. This the captain was happy to do although, as he warned Mr. Gardiner, “My frigate was not actually involved in the fighting for we did not stand in the line of battle and were in danger only when the storm arose.” Nonetheless, Mr. Gardiner would have it all and the telling took much of an afternoon, the use of the dining table to lay out the various ships and the course of the fighting. His descriptions drew a surprising number of spectators, including Charles, who was heard to mutter afterwards to Jane, “I have seen James on countless occasions over the past three years and never once has he spoken of the battle. I did not even know he was there.”

It is not to be supposed that two men whose businesses overlapped would not take advantage of the opportunity to discuss subjects of mutual interest to see if they could be furthered. It was Mr. Gardiner who first broached the matter one evening as the gentlemen were enjoying their port after dinner and, as they determined that there were areas that could prove beneficial to them both, it was resolved that when the Bingleys had firmly established themselves in Liverpool, the Gardiners would visit, merging the desire to advance their respective business affairs with the opportunity to visit a most-beloved niece. The ladies were consulted on the matter and it was soon decided that Easter would be opportune for everyone. Mrs. Bennet, when apprised of their intentions, insisted upon Kitty accompanying the Gardiners, and James and Elizabeth had little choice but to concede the point.

Thursday, December 27, 1811

Happy was the day that Mrs. Bennet saw her most troublesome daughter married and to a gentleman who, if her husband was to believed, would be worth as much, and possibly more, than the man she had long hoped to secure for her eldest and most beautiful daughter. And, even if his income was tarnished by its association with trade, his demeanour and comportment was as genteel as that of her own brother and Charles Bingley. Moreover, he had agreed, along with his brother, to provide for her and her daughters after Mr. Bennet’s passing and, if he could not inherit Longbourn, such security was almost satisfactory compensation and for that Mrs. Bennet would hold him in the greatest favour.

“Dearly beloved, we are gathered together here in the sight of God, and in the face of this congregation, to join together this man and this woman in Holy matrimony; which is an honourable estate, instituted of God in the time of man’s innocence, signifying unto us the mystical union that is betwixt Christ and his Church; which Holy estate Christ adorned and beautified with his presence, and first miracle that he wrought...”

The familiar words resonating in Elizabeth’s ears now had a significance as though she had not heard them several times before, and she could not help looking away from the rector and focusing on the man with whom she was to be joined. She was surprised and pleased to see that the solemn words were affecting him as well, their familiarity in no way lessening their import. He listened in rapt fascination, his eyes fixed on the speaker, but he seemed to sense Elizabeth’s gaze and his head slowly turned until his eyes fixed on hers. Elizabeth almost shivered at that moment, for she could feel the intensity of his gaze. The bond between them was still somewhat tenuous but was strengthening day-by-day and would be stronger still when this ceremony was complete. Neither knew how long that gaze lasted, in which the world only encompassed them both, but their awareness was drawn back to the ceremony only when the rector addressed James.

“James Bingley, wilt thou have this Woman to thy wedded wife, to live together after God’s ordinance in the holy estate of Matrimony? Wilt thou love her, comfort her, honour and keep her in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all others, keep thee only unto her, so long as ye both shall live?”

James’ voice was firm and echoed throughout the church, “I will.”

And then it was her turn. “Elizabeth Bennet, wilt thou have this man to thy wedded husband, to live together after God’s ordinance in the holy state of Matrimony? Wilt thou obey him, and serve him, love, honour, and keep him in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all others, keep thee only unto him, so long as ye both shall live?

Elizabeth’s response was equally firm, her eyes once more fixed on James, “I will.”

“Who giveth this woman to be married to this man?”

“I do,” said Mr. Bennet, and, releasing her hand to the rector, he stepped back to join the others standing around James and Elizabeth who turned to face each other. Taking Elizabeth’s hand, the rector placed it in James’ and commanded James to say after him:

“I, James, take thee Elizabeth., to my wedded Wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part, according to God’s holy ordinance; and thereto I plight thee my troth.”

Then James released Elizabeth’s hand, and the rector took James’ right hand, giving it to Elizabeth to hold in hers, while he directed her to repeat after him: “I, Elizabeth, take thee James, to my wedded Husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, cherish, and to obey, till death us do part, according to God’s holy ordinance; and thereto I give thee my troth.”

Charles placed the ring on the Bible held by the rector who then gave the ring to James. It was, at Elizabeth’s request, a simple gold band. James lifted Elizabeth’s left hand and slid the ring onto her third finger. Elizabeth closed her eyes for a moment feeling the overwhelming significance of the action, so simple in execution but complex in its import, and then looking down at the ring that signified so much for her future – connecting and linking her to this man for the rest of her life. She raised her eyes once more to meet those of James who continued to hold the ring on her finger as he said, his eyes locked with those of Elizabeth and his voice husky with emotion, “With this ring, I thee wed, with my body I thee worship, and with all my worldly goods I thee endow. In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.”

He released her hand but could not release his gaze from hers. Her eyes promised him all the love, devotion and passion which was hers to offer and which he would receive with the greatest joy. He could only hope that she could see the same promise in his, as the rector then said, “Let us pray. O eternal God, creator and preserver of all mankind, giver of all spiritual grace, the author of everlasting life; send thy blessing upon these thy servants, this man and this woman, whom we bless in thy Name; that, as Isaac and Rebecca lived faithfully together, so these persons may surely perform and keep the vow and covenant betwixt them made, and may ever remain in perfect love and peace together, and live according to thy laws; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.”

The rector took the right hand of both Elizabeth and James, and looking out at the assembly of family and friends, intoned, “Those whom God hath joined together, let no man put asunder.”

The rector released their hands, though they remained clasped together, as he continued, “For as much as James and Elizabeth have consented together in Holy wedlock, and have witnessed the same before God and this company, and thereto have given and pledged their troth either to the other, and have declared the same by giving and receiving of a Ring, and by joining of hands; I pronounce that they be Man and Wife together, in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.”

He concluded with the blessing, “God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Ghost, bless, preserve, and keep you; the Lord mercifully with his favour look upon you; and so fill you with all spiritual benediction and grace, that ye may so live together in this life, that in the world to come ye may have life everlasting. Amen.”

At last the moment had arrived that James had been waiting for. Elizabeth was his wife. He stood, drawing her to her feet and smiling leant down to brush the lips that were smiling up at him. If it were not for all the eyes upon them, he would have pulled her more closely and prolonged the kiss. Instead he released her and brought her two hands to his lips to bestow a fleeting kiss before turning to face the well-wishers who thronged about them. Jane, with tears streaming down her cheeks, embraced Elizabeth and then James.

“I can now call you brother.” She said through her tears.

Mrs. Bennet could hardly restrain herself, but for once was at a loss for words and simply kissed Elizabeth and hugged her new son-in-law. It was some time before James and Elizabeth could make their way to the parish registry to sign their names. Elizabeth realized that it would be the last occasion in which she would sign as Elizabeth Bennet; henceforth, she would be known as Elizabeth Bingley or Mrs. James Bingley.

The bride and groom were everything they should be – handsome, very much in love and eager to leave all company behind. James Bingley wished to depart for Liverpool and had determined that they must do so by noon or else risk not arriving at the inn, where rooms had been reserved for them, until it was dark. Mrs. Bennet was reluctant to lose their company for there was always another neighbour to whom she wished to introduce her married daughter and her new son, despite the fact that the neighbour had made their acquaintance several times over the past weeks. But James would not be persuaded to tarry. If Mrs. Bennet was unhappy that the couple would not delay their departure, Mr. Bennet could hardly bear the thought of losing his favourite daughter.

He had come to respect James Bingley a great deal. He could not say that he understood him well for the captain’s upbringing and profession were a mystery to him. They simply had no points of common reference – other than a strong regard for Elizabeth. Even Mr. Darcy, who he had met only briefly was not an unfamiliar object. University trained, owner of an estate and, though admittedly of much greater consequence than Mr. Bennet, he was nonetheless someone to whom he could relate. Captain Bingley was very much an enigma. To be liked, most assuredly - for he was an extremely amiable gentleman; respected, undoubtedly – for his success in his professions and for his willingness to care for his daughter and the Bennet family; understood – that was a much more difficult proposition and one that Mr. Bennet was unsure he could ever solve. And yet his most beloved daughter was now the man’s wife, had bound herself to him and appeared increasingly comfortable in his company. Mr. Bennet envied her that success. It was the company of Mr. Gardiner that had, to a degree, bridged the gap between himself and Captain Bingley for Mr. Gardiner had a foot in either camp and, if not directly involved in the same businesses as the Captain, there was some commonality of interests and so, between the three of them, they could support an interesting and lively conversation. He could only hope that time and opportunity would bring him closer but, for now, James Bingley was leaving him the poorer for the loss of his daughter’s companionship. If he had been able to develop a better understanding of James Bingley he might feel less worried about consigning Elizabeth to his care but, as it was, he must trust his daughter’s judgement and that was decidedly in James Bingley’s favour. He embraced her once again and not bothering to hide his tears and James pretended he did not see them.

~~~~~~~~

They reached the first inn on their journey slightly before dark. They refreshed themselves, enjoyed a light meal and now it was time to retire for the evening. They walked in silence until they reached the door of her bedchamber where she turned to him saying, “Come to me in a half hour.” He could only nod and watch as the door of their bedchamber closed before hurrying to his own rooms to bathe and ready himself.

A half hour later, dressed only in loose breeches and a dark blue robe, he waited, sitting on the settee in front of the window that overlooked the courtyard. Watching the casual movements of the stablehands but wrapped in his thoughts, he was not aware of the passage of time until he suddenly thought to check his watch. She had been waiting for him! He hurried to enter her room. The flicker of movement on the edge of his vision alerted him to her presence and he turned to face her. She had had taken but a step or two when she was stopped by his upflung hand. “Please, Elizabeth . . . do not move.”

James found himself short of breath. The nightgown she wore was cream coloured and diaphanous, both revealing and hiding the body it contained. Her dark hair spilled and curled over her shoulders and down her back. His concentrated gaze had brought a flush to Elizabeth’s face that spread down over her shoulders. Its further progress was obscured by her nightgown but her embarrassment was evident. With an effort he breathed in, "You are so very beautiful.” reaching out he offered her his hand which she grasped and was led to sit beside him on the settee where she smiled and said, “I was beginning to despair of your joining me.”

He answered by drawing her into his embrace. They began to exchange kisses and caresses with increasing boldness and fervour until finally Elizabeth drew back and looked pointedly at James, “I believe, sir, it is time for you to take me to your bed.” He suddenly realized that she had taken the initiative in deciding it was time to retire and to move to the bed but that all further initiatives were his responsibility. Standing, he scooped her into his arms and carried her to the bed, depositing her gently in its centre before settling himself beside her. Elizabeth looked up at the man who now had power over her completely but knowing his kindness and gentleness she was not afraid of what was to follow. Trusting him completely she opened her arms to welcome him to her body saying, “Come husband, make me truly your wife.”

~~~

It was an urgent necessity that woke Elizabeth the next morning. Without thinking, she scooted out of bed before realizing that she was completely unclothed. Looking around she found her nightgown lying on the floor beside the bed. Putting on her nightgown she rushed to her dressing room to relieve and clean herself. When she returned to the bedroom it was to find James gone from the bed. Putting on her robe she sat on the settee to await his return and considered the events of the previous night. When James had finally entered her body, it had been painful but not unduly so. His caresses had stirred her so as to make the joining eagerly awaited and he had been patient and careful, allowing her time for the discomfort to ease. She had been able to find pleasure in their first joining and more in the second that took place during the night.

When the door of his dressing room opened and he saw her sitting he moved quickly to her side, “My love, are you well? I did not realize. . .you must be in pain”

Elizabeth knew she had to relieve his distress, “Truly love, I am fine. I am well. There is no pain. Not now, at least. I did have some at first but it did not last.” She smiled at him, “the pleasure quite made me forget it all; however, I have discovered that I am most hungry. What time is it?”

“It is just past seven in the morning. I shall have them arrange a breakfast for us in the sitting room.”

This received Elizabeth’s approval and he left the room to have hot water supplied and arrange a breakfast. Elizabeth returned to her dressing room to bathe and dress. After soaking in the tub for near a half hour, Elizabeth allowed herself to be toweled dry and thoroughly cosseted by her husband. Dressed in her most comfortable travelling gown and with her hair washed and pinned up with the assistance of one of the inn’s maids, she joined James for breakfast.

They could not linger over their meal and before the hour reached nine, they were once more on the road to Liverpool. The journey was long; however, as there was no pressing reason to hurry their arrival, James had allowed four days instead of three for the trip. Frequent stops to rest the horses and refresh themselves made the journey less taxing, and the plenitude of topics to be discussed and the freedom that privacy allowed to be intimate, made the passage of time very tolerable. Two more nights were spent at inns with much the same enjoyment as the first. So comfortable were their lodgings and so easy was their travel that they arrived in Liverpool in spirits as good as when they left Longbourn.

James had secured lodgings for them in the most respectable hotel in Liverpool which they were to inhabit until they returned for her sister’s wedding. It was a large suite complete with dressing rooms, a bed chamber and a sitting room. When they entered their suite, Elizabeth was introduced to a rather unusual individual. He was a square built man of only medium height but almost as broad as he was tall, weathered complexion and an assortment of whitish scars on his hands and face that, if they did not disfigure him, certainly made his appearance quite remarkable and formidable.

“Allow me to introduce Mr. Sweetapple, Elizabeth. He was my personal cox’un and has followed me into retirement. He’s just returned from visiting his family in Scarborough which I gave him leave to do when I travelled to London on business. He’ll tend to me and assist about the house.”

Elizabeth greeted Mr. Sweetapple pleasantly and he bowed without saying a word before returning to the task of unpacking Captain Bingley’s belongings.

“Sweetapple will accompany you whenever you leave the house and I am unavailable for the duty.” James tone was such as to allow for no opposition and Elizabeth had no intention of gainsaying him on the matter. Her Uncle Gardiner would never allow her to go out without a footman attending her. She could wish for no less from her husband. She smiled cheerfully as she said, “I may then consider myself most secure for I cannot believe there to be finer protection than that afforded by yourself or Mr. Sweetapple.”

James relaxed. He had wondered if she might chafe at being so encumbered and was once more pleased at her easy practicality.

“We shall have to acquire a ladies maid for you, Elizabeth.”

She gave the matter some thought. She had missed the ready assistance of her sisters in dressing and fixing her hair and a maid would certainly be useful.

“I think that to be an excellent idea, although I doubt my needs will require all of her time. Perhaps an upstairs maid with some experience in assisting a lady would do.”Elizabeth remembered the elegant ladies that attended James’ sisters. ”I do not need a superior creature as those which tend your sisters, James.”

He laughed and agreed with her and between them it was resolved that, while inspecting potential homes was the first priority, agencies would be canvassed to supply suitable candidates for a maid.

The following week was spent visiting the various homes that had been identified for their consideration. The solicitor had found a round dozen but they were not required to inspect them all. Several had been eliminated immediately as being too far from James’ offices, for as Elizabeth was quick to assert, “If it is a matter of a superior house that will require you to travel two hours a day to your office in comparison to one that can be reached in a quarter of that time or less, I will choose the latter, provided it is in a respectable location and suitable to our needs and position.”

There remained some eight houses to view, two of which were rejected upon being seen from the outside only, for the signs of damage, poor maintenance and general neglect were obvious. The others must be inspected minutely and a full week and multiple visits to two of the houses was required for the effort. A house was finally settled on that was satisfactory to them both and was in easy distance of James’ office.

“We have two weeks before we must leave for Longbourn, James. Whatever shall we do with ourselves?” Elizabeth looked at her husband through her eyelashes. As they were quite alone, Mr. Sweetapple and Emily, Elizabeth’s maid, having left for their own quarters, James made it quite obvious how she might expect to pass the next hour or so.

As enjoyable as it might have been, not all of the fortnight that followed could be spent in the bed chamber. James was required to visit his office and there was a sufficiency of matters to claim his attention for much of the day. Fortunately, once a house had been settled on, the question of its furnishings and staff must be dealt with, and for this Elizabeth required only the assistance of her housekeeper who had arrived with her husband several days after her new mistress. Between them, the house was more closely inspected, rooms in want of fresh paint or a thorough cleaning, or both, identified and lists made of the articles of furniture and furnishings required for each room. While James was kept apprised of her undertakings, he was content to leave the matter in her hands and, when he later saw the results, was quite happy to have done so. Only his study required his input and as his wants were simple – a solid large desk, several comfortable armchairs and enough bookcases to meet his current and future needs, for as he told Elizabeth,

“This may be my study but it is large enough to serve as a library and I would never object to your presence while I worked.”

“Even should I prove to be a distraction?” She teased.

“Particularly should you prove to be a distraction, dearest.” He paused as he leaned closer, “The door is large, solid and possesses a stout lock should we require it.”

She blushed, looked slightly scandalized and then intrigued. “I believe I shall remember this, James. Indeed I shall.”

~~~~~~~~

Finally it was time to return for her sister’s wedding. They would be gone for more than a week and when they returned it would be to their own home. Mrs. Blake, their housekeeper, was confident that all would be ready by then and Elizabeth had worked closely enough with her over the past weeks to feel confident in leaving the tasks that remained in her hands. She was not looking forward to their trip to Longbourn. What had taken four days to complete when they came to Liverpool, James hoped to accomplish in three.

Tuesday, January 28, 1812

Netherfield Park was aglow. Miss Bingley had deigned to return to act as her brother’s hostess. Charles had initially inquired of Elizabeth to perform the office which she was forced to refuse, for the tasks she faced in Liverpool could not be deferred and so Miss Bingley it was to be. That she was unhappy at the situation was clear to everyone; however, she had learned that she could not risk the disapprobation of both her brothers and moderated her behaviour greatly.

Unfortunately, she chose, accompanied by a gentleman for whom she harboured expectations, to approach Elizabeth during the evening when the latter had sent her husband off for refreshments.

“I understand, Elizabeth, that your house is close to James’ offices.” Miss Bingley turned to her companion, “I greatly regret that my eldest brother has not followed Charles’ example and acquired an estate.”

“I am surprised at your saying so, Miss Bingley.” Elizabeth refused to pretend a closeness existed where there was none. She would not call Caroline Bingley ‘Sister’ or ‘Caroline’.

“You can hardly deny that he is engaged in trade.”

“I make no such attempt. I am proud of my husband. He may be in trade but he remains a gentleman.”

Miss Bingley pursed her lips but remained silent.

“Or do you not accept the King’s decision. Surely you did not set your opinion above his?” Elizabeth continued.

Caroline was silent but her companion was puzzled by Elizabeth’s statement and did not hesitate to seek an explanation.

“It is quite simple, Sir.” responded Elizabeth keeping her gaze fixed on Caroline’s face. “His Majesty designated my husband a gentleman when he, through the Admiralty, promoted him to Post Captain.” She smiled thinly at her sister-in-law, “and I doubt not he would think poorly of anyone who would question his judgement on the matter particularly if that person cannot by birth themselves claim such distinction.”

Elizabeth had no further conversation with Caroline that evening to the satisfaction of both parties. She took a great deal of pleasure in her sister’s obvious happiness, danced three times with her husband whose abilities appeared to improve with practice and enjoyed several dances with other gentlemen. She was unsure how it was accomplished but Kitty was under better regulation – due, Elizabeth was convinced, to the absence of Lydia who remained at home under punishment. Mrs. Bennet was beyond herself with pleasure but again the Gardiners appeared to be effective in muting her transports and she was, therefore, only mildly embarrassing to her family.

It was the next evening that another confrontation between Elizabeth and Caroline occurred. The latter had spent much of the day attempting to fix the interest of a Mr. Goldstone, a friend of Charles who had been invited to the wedding. He was a gentleman of some consequence, handsome appearance and in possession of an excellent estate worth some eight thousand a year. He treated Caroline with the same civility she had been accorded by Mr. Darcy and she afforded him her most excellent attentions. It was her unfortunate circumstance to have been overheard by James and Elizabeth disparaging several young ladies with whom Mr. Goldstone was acquainted. Her remarks were phrased in such a way as to compliment the ladies concerned but suggest that their accomplishments, while undoubtedly fine, were inferior to her own. Elizabeth could see that Mr. Goldstone was not pleased by Miss Bingley’s remarks, although his own good manners would not allow him to rebuke her. Elizabeth remembered several instances when she stayed at Netherfield tending Jane when Caroline had behaved in a similar manner to Mr. Darcy. If her recollections were accurate, he had been equally displeased at her attentions and had chosen to overlook them – perhaps because of his friendship with Charles. Nonetheless, Elizabeth could not suppose that Caroline was furthering her own interest by such behaviour and resolved to speak with her when an occasion arose. Later that same evening, she and James approached her when she appeared to have been deserted by all of her other guests. Elizabeth spoke first.

“I had not thought to find you so much like my mother, Miss Bingley.”

Caroline paled and could not think to reply.

James was not so disadvantaged and, struggling to suppress his amusement at his sister’s discomfort, managed to ask, “How so, my dear. I admit I fail to see the resemblance.”

“Mama often seeks to promote her daughters’ interests by disparaging the attractions of other young ladies. Your sister appears to be of a similar mind and attempts to promote her interests by denigrating her rivals.” Elizabeth’ voice lost all traces of amusement as she continued, “I found such behaviour mortifying when I was the object of my mother’s attempt at aggrandizement, and I find it equally as distasteful in your sister.” She turned to Caroline, “May I suggest that, in future, you adopt the Golden Rule in conversation – say nothing of another that you would not want said of you.”

James glanced around. No one appeared to be paying them particular attention, nor was there anyone close enough to overhear their conversation. He grasped Caroline’s arm firmly.

“While we are being so very honest, Caroline, allow me to say that your current manner does not appear to have recommended you to any gentleman. You have been out for several years and have yet to secure an offer of marriage. Might I suggest that not only have your sights been set too high. For many of those in the circles in which you wish to move, your fortune will not offset those roots in trade you so deplore. Moreover, those men in that circle who might be inclined to overlook those conditions will not be attracted by your manners. If they are sensible enough to place more value on education and intelligence, they will not overlook a want of generosity in dealing with others. Amend your manners, Caroline, or be fated for disappointment.”

James released his hold on Caroline and she staggered slightly away from. Her lips were a thin line and her face was cold. That she was affronted was clear. It was equally obvious that she did not accept her brother’s rebuke, nor that of Elizabeth. She did not deign to answer and stalked away.

“Oh dear,” said Elizabeth, “I fear that we need not expect an invitation to Caroline’s wedding, should she marry.”

“Unless it be to a duke, in which instance it will be sent to convey only her disdain for our advice.”

Caroline chose to ignore her brother and his wife for the remainder of their visit and, as her company rarely ever provided any pleasure, the loss of it was regretted by neither Elizabeth nor James.

On the following day, Charles wed his beloved Jane. Once they had taken their leave from the wedding breakfast to begin their wedding trip, James and Elizabeth quietly made their own departure to begin their life together.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Theirs was a life blessed with children – many of them – health and the usual run of happiness and sorrows. Of the remaining characters in this story there is not a great deal to be said. Charles and Jane Bingley gave up the lease on Netherfield that summer, for too close a proximity to Mrs. Bennet was not conducive to the happiness of either and when an estate was found within an easy distance of Liverpool, Charles and his wife moved there without delay. Caroline did not join them, choosing instead to live with the Hursts.

Charles’ friendship with Mr. Darcy suffered as a result of his marriage to Jane Bennet. Charles did invite Darcy to stand with him at his wedding; however, the invitation was declined politely. When Charles acquired his estate, an unfortunate set of circumstances apparently made it difficult for Darcy to provide the advice that was required to ensure effective management of it. James recognized that his brother’s easy nature, while suited for life as a country gentleman, made him poorly equipped for the responsibilities associated with it. As a consequence, he undertook to ensure that a competent land agent was hired to oversee the estate and, with time and much effort, he was able to ensure that Charles became reasonably competent in those duties attached to his estate. Charles’ relationship with Darcy improved after Darcy’s wedding but it never returned to its former easy familiarity. Charles and Jane would occasionally visit the Darcys at Pemberley and the latter would visit in turn with them.

Mr. Bennet missed the company of Elizabeth greatly and was often induced to travel to Liverpool to visit before his death some fifteen years after her marriage. Mrs. Bennet could not be persuaded to travel so far and not even the thought of her grandchildren could induce her to leave Longbourn. She was often heard to exclaim that she thought her two eldest daughters had served her very poorly having settled so far away from her. That she had the company of Mary, who never married, and Lydia, whose marriage to a local shopkeeper was required after she was found in a compromising situation with him, was Mrs. Bennet’s sole consolation.

Kitty, to her material advantage, travelled with the Gardiners when they journeyed to Liverpool to visit Elizabeth and James several months after their marriage, and she remained with them for some months before visiting Charles and Jane. Kitty made her home with her elder sisters and became, under their tutelage, less ignorant, less insipid and less irritable. Some years later she met and married a close acquaintance of James whose business was in Liverpool where she lived in reasonable comfort with her sons and daughters.

Of Caroline there is little. to be said. She did eventually marry and her husband was in possession of an estate; however, it was of modest size – three thousand a year – and quite remote from London and the society she most enjoyed. His reason for marrying was to acquire her fortune to improve his estate and to acquire an heir. In these matters she gave him no cause for complaint for he fathered two sons with her but domestic felicity was not to be found for either and, to the relief of both, they were able to so arrange their lives as not to be in each other’s company more than ten minutes a day.

Of Wickham nothing more was ever heard – to the satisfaction of everyone; although James was overheard on more than one occasion, and usually after several glasses of his favourite whiskey, that he wished he had the chance to settle the man’s situation to his satisfaction.
SubjectAuthorPosted

The Other Mr. Bingley - Chapter Ten

PeterMay 02, 2016 11:18PM

Re: The Other Mr. Bingley - Chapter Ten

KimberlyMay 05, 2016 02:05AM

AmytatMay 04, 2016 11:36PM

PearlMay 04, 2016 11:51PM

LisaYMay 06, 2016 12:11PM

PeterMay 05, 2016 12:55AM

AnnaBMay 03, 2016 02:27PM

DorisMay 03, 2016 07:18PM

Lucy J.May 03, 2016 05:27AM

KateBMay 03, 2016 07:30PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 18 plus 7?