Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

The Great House

January 16, 2012 05:49PM
The Great House, by Nicole Krauss, is another book I would like to recommend.

I picked this book from the library pretty much at random: The author's name seemed vaguely familiar (I realised later I'd mixed her up with someone else) and the book was brand new, which is always nice. The text on the back said something about a mysterious desk and other items that several people find and which are all linked together. If I had any expectations about this book at all, I was thinking it would be some sort of Da Vinci Code, but with a chick-lit influence.

I couldn't have been more wrong. It's difficult though to say *what* it was. It was a story told in fragments, sort of. There were four different narrators and it took me right until the end to find out how they were linked. The plot was quite slow. All the action it had was told in hindsight, more or less, so the only things that actually happened were people walking the streets of Jerusalem or the like.

But I really liked it. I can't quite put my finger at why or how, but I liked it. The voices of the different narrators were really compelling, the characters were intriguing and I kept reading because I wanted to find out just what linked them all. In the end, the answer was both simpler and much more profound than I'd thought. At first I was slightly disappointing that it was far less spectacular than I thought, but after thinking about it for a bit, I think it is better this way. It was like reading the echoes of several lives all woven into this one moment, and I liked that there was no real big 'answer' in the end.

Is it not strange that sheeps' guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?
SubjectAuthorPosted

The Great House

Mari A.January 16, 2012 05:49PM

Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 20 plus 14?